Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password not recognised

New Macbook Pro not recognising new password or one from old Mac after using Migration Assistant. Possibly looking for a 'setup password' which may be from the old Mac and is now lostin the mists of time.

Can't seem to boot into recovery mode with Command + R either.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 6:55 AM

For Big Sur you need to follow this:

Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window, which includes a gear icon labelled Options. Select Options, then click Continue. Then select language, then choose Utilities > Terminal from the menu bar, then type resetpassword in the Terminal window.

From there there are different options to reset one or all passwords which worked for me and I could log on after a restart.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2020 6:55 AM in response to MacAndroid

For Big Sur you need to follow this:

Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window, which includes a gear icon labelled Options. Select Options, then click Continue. Then select language, then choose Utilities > Terminal from the menu bar, then type resetpassword in the Terminal window.

From there there are different options to reset one or all passwords which worked for me and I could log on after a restart.

Password not recognised

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.