Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard /returning /different /characters /than /pRESSED

I;VE /READ /THE /THREADS /ABOUT /SIMIlar /ISSUEs /BUT /HAVE /NOT /FOUND /A /RESOLUTION. /THIS THIS /IMPacts /several /keys /and /the /character(S) /is /always /the /same /wrong /character. /Macbook /air /2013 /running /mojave. /haven;t /upGRADED /BECAUSE /IT;LL /RENDER /MY /MS /OFFICE /SOFTWARE /USELESS. /

IF /I /Press /a /spACE /BAR /I /ALWAYS /GET /A Space /and /froward /slash /

If /i /press /p /I /GET /CAPs /lock /on /and /off /

if /i /pRESS ; / /I /GET /; /WHAT /APpears /as /though /its /a /; /single /quote /and /a /backspACE.

IF /I /Press /delete /i /get /a /lower /low /volume /f11 /respONsE /and /a /backspace

if /i /pRESS /TILDA /A /GET A /TILDA /AND /BACKscpACE.

TRIED /SAFE /MODE / /NVRAM /RESET, / /RESET /DEFAULTS /ON /THE //KEYBOARDS /OPtions.

deleted /and /reloaded /the /US /keyboard

keys /work /fine /with /the / /virtual /on /screen /accessibility /keyboard

''as shown in this sentence." hardaware /SUSPect /BUT /I;M /NOT /CERTAIN.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 3:51 PM

My keyboard is back up and running. I took it out, cleaned it, and reinstalled it. Pushed rivets back in and if they "snap" in they'll hold. I got all but 3 to hold in place. Yes, this is tedious. This is a weak design, Apple. Get rid of the rivets and come up with alternatives. I have at least three ideas that'l allow for cleaning, recycling, and maintenance without replacement.

The keyboard ribbon cable connection to the circuit board showed some corrosion, this very well could have been the source of the key errors. It wasn't at all normal in minimal. I cleaned the contacts up with a damp q-tip and paper towel. I have no recollection of having ever spilling any liquid on any part of this machine so all I can think is that its condensation forming while taking the computer from the cold winter car into the higher humidity house. I suppose if you do that for a couple years, enough condensation could form to cause this corrosion.

TIPS - DO NOT place paper between the screen and keyboard and close the lid. This puts pressure on the keys and the thicker the paper the greater the pressure. It's not designed for anything in that space. I did this immediately prior to the keyboard failure. Maybe unrelated to the keyboard failure but still an observation I made.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 3:51 PM in response to Jinxme

My keyboard is back up and running. I took it out, cleaned it, and reinstalled it. Pushed rivets back in and if they "snap" in they'll hold. I got all but 3 to hold in place. Yes, this is tedious. This is a weak design, Apple. Get rid of the rivets and come up with alternatives. I have at least three ideas that'l allow for cleaning, recycling, and maintenance without replacement.

The keyboard ribbon cable connection to the circuit board showed some corrosion, this very well could have been the source of the key errors. It wasn't at all normal in minimal. I cleaned the contacts up with a damp q-tip and paper towel. I have no recollection of having ever spilling any liquid on any part of this machine so all I can think is that its condensation forming while taking the computer from the cold winter car into the higher humidity house. I suppose if you do that for a couple years, enough condensation could form to cause this corrosion.

TIPS - DO NOT place paper between the screen and keyboard and close the lid. This puts pressure on the keys and the thicker the paper the greater the pressure. It's not designed for anything in that space. I did this immediately prior to the keyboard failure. Maybe unrelated to the keyboard failure but still an observation I made.

Dec 31, 2020 12:04 PM in response to Jinxme

The big concern is that unexpected keyboard and trackpad results can be due to a swelling battery. Does the computer sit evenly on all four feet or does it rock when placed on a flat hard surface?

Although we do not know for user, even the chance of a swelling battery dictates immediate action. If it is swelling, the amount of swelling increases daily and, if ignored, can exert enough force to bend the case bottom and even the heavy upper deck beyond practical repair. Do an image search for "swollen laptop battery."

Keyboard /returning /different /characters /than /pRESSED

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.