Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon driver now OK with Big Sur. But scanner not working. Request help

I have just received help to get my Canon printer working with Big Sur which is a great relief, and thanks.

However when I try to scan I get the message "failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)"

Anyone know the answer?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 9:04 AM

Because it is connected via USB cable, and AirPrint expects a network connection, so it does not appear as a choice. Here is the link to the MG5350 documentation, including one on setting up AirPrint.

You will need to use GutenPrint with a USB connected MG5350, or figure out how to get it networked, so that the AirPrint option becomes available to you when it is discovered on your network.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2020 9:04 AM in response to ronaldfromaldeby

Because it is connected via USB cable, and AirPrint expects a network connection, so it does not appear as a choice. Here is the link to the MG5350 documentation, including one on setting up AirPrint.

You will need to use GutenPrint with a USB connected MG5350, or figure out how to get it networked, so that the AirPrint option becomes available to you when it is discovered on your network.

Dec 31, 2020 7:44 AM in response to ronaldfromaldeby

We might know the answer if we knew what model of multi-function Canon device you are using. Otherwise, you must be expecting us to guess what product you are referring too.

Did you attempt to configure the scanner from the System Preferences : Printers & Scanners panel, install vendor compatible (ICA) Apple Image Capture drivers, or even use Image Capture?

Dec 31, 2020 7:58 AM in response to VikingOSX

Unbelievably rapid response, thanks.

Apologies, Viking. I thought you received that info. automatically as the system summarised the equipment I am using on my entry page. I have a 22" iMac, just updated to Big Sur. My printer is a Canon series 5350.

Yes, I did go to the Printers and Scanner panel, but when I press the scaning option I receive the error message given. I would not know how to start to "install vendor compatible ACA or Image Capture"

Dec 31, 2020 8:09 AM in response to ronaldfromaldeby

We are fellow users, and not Apple employees, so we have no access to any of your Apple information. Canon makes an MB5350, MG5350, and a TS5350 device. All of these are supported by AirPrint. Is it one of these models?

If the answer is true, then with the device powered and with a network connection, visit System Preferences : Printers & Scanners, and right-click on the printer entry, and choose Reset printing system… . This will take you to the re-add device dialog, where you would choose AirPrint instead of any Canon selection. Then, re-add the device. Print something. There should also be something on Printes & Scanners panel to select your scanner too.

Dec 31, 2020 8:33 AM in response to VikingOSX

Mine is a MG5450 printer. When I go to the Add Printer pane all I get is:

'Canon MG5300 series' and 'USB Multifunction' in the 'kind' column.

I don't usually use an air connection so is there something else I need to set up in System Preferences? In the Network box it says bluetooth not connected, althought it is connected to my mouse and keyboard.

Dec 31, 2020 8:54 AM in response to ronaldfromaldeby

The Canon MG5450 device is also supported by AirPrint provided it is wired or wirelessly networked. Once it is discovered on the network via the re-add printer process, the AirPrint driver will appear in addition to the Canon driver. Refer to the MG5450 documentation to setup a wireless/wired network connection on your network, so you can use AirPrint.

Canon Europe and USA report that the MG5450 is no longer supported (no drivers) under macOS Big Sur, and was last supported with macOS Mojave (10.14).

Your printer model is supported by GutenPrint for Mac, though uncertain to what extent that support, and probably as a USB connection.

Dec 31, 2020 10:26 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you Viking. In the end I solved by resetting the link with the router. This will have been lost when the router was changed some time ago and I guess it was then that I started using a USB connection again. Once the air link was established Airprint appeared as an option in the Add window. Both print and scan function, and I am relieved. The solution was not exactly as you suggested but I am grateful for your patience and support.

I am knocking off now for the evening. Have a good New Year and thanks for your perseverance and patience

Canon driver now OK with Big Sur. But scanner not working. Request help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.