Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages on Mac lost my account phone # and doesn't display it

For the second time in a month, iMessages on the Mac (running Catalina 10.15.7) stopped allowing me to select my phone number in the iMessages Prefs under Account. It shows my email address, but not my phone #. This worked for me properly for years.

It may be related, but like last time this seemed to be triggered by a request from Apple to repeatedly reenter my Apple ID password in just about every place Apple ID is used, on my Mac and my iPhone. When this happened a month ago eventually it stopped asking me and I could use my phone # for iMessage on Mac again, but I don't remember how it happened to start working again.

I did not update software on either my Mac or my iPhone immediately before this happened. I did not change my Apple ID password before this happened.

In my System Preferences : Apple ID preferences, is says that I am "Reachable At" for my phone # for iMessages.

Anybody else have this happen?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 1:40 PM

On your phone, check Settings, Messages. Make sure use of your Apple ID for messages is activated. The re-sign in to Apple ID AND Messages on your Mac (re-enter your Apple ID password there), then check your phone again, to verify that Apple ID is activated for messages and also that Text Message Forwarding is turned on and shows your Mac.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2020 1:40 PM in response to petewelter

On your phone, check Settings, Messages. Make sure use of your Apple ID for messages is activated. The re-sign in to Apple ID AND Messages on your Mac (re-enter your Apple ID password there), then check your phone again, to verify that Apple ID is activated for messages and also that Text Message Forwarding is turned on and shows your Mac.

iMessages on Mac lost my account phone # and doesn't display it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.