Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipad and iPhone 7 have been hacked.I’m told I need to reconfigure my router. I’m so NOT tech savvy! Who to call,what to do?

My iPad and iPhone 7 have been hacked! Who to call, what to do?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 5:43 PM

You get the manual for the router from the router manufacturer’s website and read how to change security settings. As it will be different for every manufacturer and router model it’s not possible to post detailed instructions.

See this Apple support article for how to configure it correctly—>Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically the section headed Security. And don't forget to configure your range extenders (if any) also!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 5:43 PM in response to 1969may

You get the manual for the router from the router manufacturer’s website and read how to change security settings. As it will be different for every manufacturer and router model it’s not possible to post detailed instructions.

See this Apple support article for how to configure it correctly—>Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically the section headed Security. And don't forget to configure your range extenders (if any) also!

Jan 1, 2021 7:00 PM in response to 1969may

This is a general way to do it. As Lawrence noted, router's differ, so this may not be correct for you. But give it a try.

1. Open your web browser. Put 192.168.0.1 in the search field and press enter.
  2. This is the default IP address of almost all routers. It should respond with a sheet asking for the admin name and password.
  3. Again not all, but with most routers this information is on a sticker on the router itself. Enter the info if you have it.
  4. The router is then configured through its own internal web pages.
  5. Find wireless settings and check to see what the security settings are. If any are using WEP or WPA, change it to WPA2 as the minimum security protocol. Usually, you then have to click a Submit or Apply button.

Dec 31, 2020 3:08 PM in response to 1969may

You're not hacked. iOS 14 added a warning to inform you if your router is using an old, easily hacked wireless protocol. Nothing more. It's just a message to make you aware.

Go into your router's settings and make sure it's not using WEP or WPA. It should be on WPA2 at minimum. Check both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Change them as necessary.

Dec 31, 2020 3:10 PM in response to 1969may

You will need to explain why do you believe that your iPhone and your iPhone 7 have been hacked? Provide examples that make you believe that it is the case. Who told you to reconfigure the Router? I ask these questions because it is extremely unlikely that your Apple devices are hacked and therefore am interested in knowing what led you to think this way.

Axel F.

My ipad and iPhone 7 have been hacked.I’m told I need to reconfigure my router. I’m so NOT tech savvy! Who to call,what to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.