Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail font size gets greatly reduced when viewed in Gmail

Apple Mail font size gets greatly reduced when viewed in Gmail.

18 point Palatino ends up looking like 8-10 point in Gmail.

I tried other fonts including ones that Gmail supports and still the same. Clearly Gmail only uses Small, Medium and Large so 18 point gets translated as small. But I don't want to use 24 point because that would be too large for my other recipients with Apple Mail or other email clients.

And why does Apple Mail not have its own Community? Apple Mail is not listed anywhere in the sitemap or topics for Support or Community Discussion.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 11:04 AM

widestrides wrote:

But that means I have to manually change the size every time I send an email.

The inability of Mail to set a default font has annoyed people for years and years. If it's a big pain, best switch to another email app. Outlook is a common alternative that allows the setting of a default font/size that does get displayed at the other end (unless the recipient takes steps to avoid it).

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 11:04 AM in response to widestrides

widestrides wrote:

But that means I have to manually change the size every time I send an email.

The inability of Mail to set a default font has annoyed people for years and years. If it's a big pain, best switch to another email app. Outlook is a common alternative that allows the setting of a default font/size that does get displayed at the other end (unless the recipient takes steps to avoid it).

Jan 1, 2021 10:41 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

I have my Apple Mail Font and Size set in my Apple Mail Preferences., but I've also experimented with setting it or changing it for an individual outgoing email.

Yes, this has been reported by my Gmail recipients, but I can also send a test email to one of my own Gmail accounts and I can see how small 18 point is.

I am reading my Gmail in Chrome browser. Of course, I could Zoom in a couple of times and increase the size but no one wants to do that each time just to read an email from an Apple Mail friend.

I may just have to start sending all my emails in 24 point because most of my recipients use web-based Gmail and I have an email list of 100 that I send to quite often.

Thanks!

Jan 1, 2021 10:47 AM in response to widestrides

widestrides wrote: I have my Apple Mail Font and Size set in my Apple Mail Preferences., but I've also experimented with setting it or changing it for an individual outgoing email.

Normally what you set in Mail preferences only has local effect and will not be seen by recipients. But if you set it for each outgoing the message should contain the code for the font name and size as you set it. Test by going to your Sent folder and doing View > Message > Raw Source on your outgoing and check the html codes for the body.

Apple Mail font size gets greatly reduced when viewed in Gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.