Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Types of video files stored on iCloud that play without having to download first

I want to transfer my videos from Google Drive to iCloud to take advantage of all the space I bought with Apple One Premier. So far, videos that are in MPEG-4 and MP4 formats will play by clicking on them, but an M4V or MPEG download themselves without playing.

Can anybody explain this to me? Is there anything I can do for these common videos types to play in a window rather than downloading them?

Thanks

Jim C

iMac 27″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 12:13 PM

Per - Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support.

"File types that you can use with iCloud Photos

Your photos and videos are stored in iCloud exactly as you took them. All of your images are held in their original formats at full resolution — HEIF, JPEG, RAW, PNG, GIF, TIFF, HEVC, and MP4 — as well as special formats you capture with your iPhone, like slo-mo, time-lapse, 4K videos, and Live Photos."

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 12:13 PM in response to jimc068

Per - Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support.

"File types that you can use with iCloud Photos

Your photos and videos are stored in iCloud exactly as you took them. All of your images are held in their original formats at full resolution — HEIF, JPEG, RAW, PNG, GIF, TIFF, HEVC, and MP4 — as well as special formats you capture with your iPhone, like slo-mo, time-lapse, 4K videos, and Live Photos."

Types of video files stored on iCloud that play without having to download first

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.