Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need a better way to change multiple file names. I cannot do a bulk change.

Every day, I rename up to 200 files. I cannot do a bulk change. In Windows, the process was;

• Navigate with Windows Explorer to the folder with files to rename
  • Select the first first file with a slow double click so the name field is selected
  • Paste the new name and add a description
  • Hit Tab. The new name is accepted and the next file is now selected for renaming

It's always been a laborious process, but with my new MacBook Pro, Big Sur 11.1, it's a clunky process. The MacBook Finder version of the process is;

• Navigate with Finder to the folder with files to rename
  • Select the first file and hit Enter
  • Paste the new name and add a description
  • Hit Enter
  • Hit down arrow to move to the next file
  • Hit Enter to select name field
  • Paste name and add description
  • Hit Enter
  • Hit down arrow to go to next file

There are more keystrokes with the Mac solution. After naming a file, is there a way to move to the next file and have the name field selected and ready to name? I want to minimize the number of keystrokes.

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 2:05 PM

Alanananda4006 wrote:

There are more keystrokes with the Mac solution. After naming a file, is there a way to move to the next file and have the name field selected and ready to name? I want to minimize the number of keystrokes.

If there's a logical way to name them (egg File1, File2, etc):

Select files.

File > Rename...

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 2:05 PM in response to Alanananda4006

Alanananda4006 wrote:

If there's a logical way to name them (egg File1, File2, etc):

Select files.

File > Rename...

I need a better way to change multiple file names. I cannot do a bulk change.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.