Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Renaming files in desktop now requires extra keystrokes - is there a work around

Since I've upgraded to Big Sur, in order to rename a file in the desktop, you must left click, select rename, position the cursor where you want to make the change, and then type the new name. Before all I had to do to change the file name was click on it and start typing. Is there a way to eliminate the left click step and go back to the way it used to be? I don't have a track pad so force click is not an option.

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 12:49 PM

You learn something new every day.

I was not aware that pressing enter key got into the edit mode. When running High Sierra and earlier, I always just clicked and slowly clicked again to get into edit mode. (I just tried it on my Mac running High Sierra and that slow click method. The enter key method also works.)

Thanks for the help I guess I will be using the enter key to get into edit mode from now on.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2022 12:49 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

You learn something new every day.

I was not aware that pressing enter key got into the edit mode. When running High Sierra and earlier, I always just clicked and slowly clicked again to get into edit mode. (I just tried it on my Mac running High Sierra and that slow click method. The enter key method also works.)

Thanks for the help I guess I will be using the enter key to get into edit mode from now on.

Renaming files in desktop now requires extra keystrokes - is there a work around

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.