Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air Question mark folder.

My Macbook Air shows a question mark folder on start up. I've tried all recovery methods but none have worked so far. Is there a way I can access it's hard drive by connecting it to my Macbook Pro via USB?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 6:38 PM

TomsOfDoom Said:

"Macbook Air Question mark folder. My Macbook Air shows a question mark folder on start up. I've tried all recovery methods but none have worked so far. Is there a way I can access it's hard drive by connecting it to my Macbook Pro via USB? Thanks in advance."

-------

What to Try:

Go Here: If your Mac Starts Up to a Question Mark - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 6:38 PM in response to TomsOfDoom

TomsOfDoom Said:

"Macbook Air Question mark folder. My Macbook Air shows a question mark folder on start up. I've tried all recovery methods but none have worked so far. Is there a way I can access it's hard drive by connecting it to my Macbook Pro via USB? Thanks in advance."

-------

What to Try:

Go Here: If your Mac Starts Up to a Question Mark - Apple Support

Jan 1, 2021 7:13 PM in response to TomsOfDoom

TomsOfDoom Said:

"I've already tried all of those options and don't have a way to remove the hard drive from the computer at the moment. That's why I was asking if there is a way to access it by a USB connection to another computer. Thanks"

-------

No. You need reinstall the macOS, or get this serviced. The question mark means either your OS if corrupt or the Hard Drive has Failed.

So, Three Steps:

I. Use First Aid in Recovery Mode:

1. Boot: into Recovery Mode [Hotld Down: command + R upon boot]
  2. Select: Disk Utitlty
  3. Click: the hard drive
  4. Click: the First Aid button
  5. View the symptoms

If no issues, then reinstall the MacOS:

II. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be lost, it's just that sometimes changes are made to your system, and then then processes become corrupted, technically. When reinstalling, deleted files are reinstalled, and misplaced files are moved back to where they should be. Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support.

If of no success, then go about getting this serviced:

III. Contact...

A. Your Local Retailer (With Certified Associates):

View the store's reviews online.

Or...

B. An AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider):

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the iPhone

Jan 1, 2021 7:12 PM in response to TomsOfDoom

TomsOfDoom Said:

"I've already tried all of those options and don't have a way to remove the hard drive from the computer at the moment. That's why I was asking if there is a way to access it by a USB connection to another computer. Thanks"

-------

How old is the Mac? Is it covered under warranty? If so, consider going thorough Apple.

Perhaps this is a Faulty Device?:

You have a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited warranty on this. So, contact Apple Support, and see if you can this serviced through them.

Contacting Apple Support:

Note: Calls are Currently a Wait:

Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment due do lots of calls. And that makes sense because, with the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get thorough :)

Jan 1, 2021 7:27 PM in response to TomsOfDoom

TomsOfDoom Said:

"Macbook Air Question mark folder.: It's a mid 2013 so unfortunately this is not a option. [...]I'll try reinstalling the OS. I hadn't tried this since I was under the impression that that would erase the drive but since that is not he case it's worth a shot. Thanks"

-------

👍 Keep us posted on how it works out.

As for being a mid 2013 Mac, it would be serviceable, by an AASP. To see if getting this serviced is an option, contact one, seeing what your options are, as mentioned in my above reply.

Macbook Air Question mark folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.