Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem downloading Catalina 10.15.7

Anyone please kindly provide suggestion or guide me!

I am trying to upgrade from OS X Yosemite to Catalina. However, each time the App store asked me to log in with Apple ID. And I was not able to log in The message said that I need to enter password followed by the verification code. The App Store said it needs OS 10.6.6 or later to work.

It seems I have trouble to log in App store with Yosemite.

I have no problem to log in on my phone, or iCloud.

Please help! I am desperate!

Is there other way to download Catalina installer besides from App Store?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 12:23 PM

If you have access to another Mac compatible with macOS 10.15, then you can download and create the Catalina USB installer on that Mac. You can also try installing macOS 10.11 El Capitan first to see if it allows you to access the App Store.

6 replies

Jan 1, 2021 10:21 PM in response to Old_Mac_2012

Is your Mac even compatible with Catalina? What is the exact model of your Mac? You can get this information by clicking on the Apple menu and selecting "About this Mac" or by entering your serial number here or here.

Have you installed all of the patches & security updates for Yosemite?

If Yosemite doesn't display the verification code window, then you need to type the verification code immediately after typing your password (before pressing the "Return" key or clicking "Ok" or whatever button allows you to submit the information).

I've heard that some systems may first need to have macOS 10.11 El Capitan installed & fully updated before later versions of macOS can be installed.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

The Catalina installer is currently only available through the App Store.

Make sure to have a good backup before attempting to upgrade macOS.

Jan 1, 2021 10:34 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you so much for the info.

I have 2012 MacBook Pro9,2. I have checked and it is compatible with Catalina.

I have installed Catalina previously without problem. However, my mac experienced very slow response and I tried re-install Catalina and I somehow ended with Yosemite.

I wish I have but I haven't created a bootable version of Catalina on USB.

My big problem now is that I can't sign in on App Store with this Yosemite OS.

It keeps asking for verification code which it said I should get it from my mac's notification. But I simply didn't get any notification at all.

Any new idea?

Jan 2, 2021 11:01 AM in response to Old_Mac_2012

Your Mac being slow originally was likely either due to a software issue or a failing hard drive, or possibly a bad hard drive SATA Cable. To check the health of the hard drive run DriveDx and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Did you try using Command + Option + R to see if the laptop will boot into the online Catalina installer? Unfortunately sometimes all you will get is access to the oldest online installer which in your case is Yosemite I guess.

Is Yosemite completely up to date with all patches and security updates installed? Did you sign into your AppleID in Messages on this laptop and is the laptop online? Do you have an iPhone or iPad signed into your AppleID? You can receive the verification code on those devices as well.

You can try to see if an Apple Store or an AASP will assist you with installing Catalina.

Jan 2, 2021 12:18 PM in response to HWTech

Hi HWTech,

Thank you so much for all the good information. You are right and totally correct that I did used Command + Option + R to reinstall OS online and that was exactly what I got: the oldest OS X Yosemite.

I will try Apple Store and AASP and hope I can get some help there.

I think I can reinstall Catalina if I can get the Catalina installer either downloaded or copied to a USB, and I can use the USB to go from there. Please let me know if you think this is viable. Please share your thoughts.

Problem downloading Catalina 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.