Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Pages quit unexpectedly'

Each time I try to open either Pages or Keynote on my MacBook Pro a 'Problem report for Pages/Keynote' opens up and says that the report will be sent to Apple automatically. It gives the option of 'OK' and 'Reopen', but the problem persists when either option is chosen. I am unable to open any Pages or Keynote documents already created and I cannot create new documents either. Does anyone have any advice or tips on what I could try?

I rely on both programmes for work purposes and live around 90 miles away from the nearest Apple store so any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 3:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 12:11 PM

As I suggested, the shift key may not resolve the underlying issue causing Pages to crash.

Reboot the Mac into Safe Boot mode, by holding the shift key until you see the progress bar. This will be a longer boot process, culminating by your sign-in. Try Pages there, and if it does not crash, then something in normal boot mode is interfering with it, or the Safe boot process fixed something that Pages needed. Otherwise…

Reboot normally and launch Pages again to see if the crash issue remains or is resolved. If still present, there is more work to do…

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2021 12:11 PM in response to SMMac20

As I suggested, the shift key may not resolve the underlying issue causing Pages to crash.

Reboot the Mac into Safe Boot mode, by holding the shift key until you see the progress bar. This will be a longer boot process, culminating by your sign-in. Try Pages there, and if it does not crash, then something in normal boot mode is interfering with it, or the Safe boot process fixed something that Pages needed. Otherwise…

Reboot normally and launch Pages again to see if the crash issue remains or is resolved. If still present, there is more work to do…

Jan 2, 2021 3:41 AM in response to SMMac20

If you are using any unnecessary anti-virus application(s) on that Mac, just completely remove them per the vendor's instructions.

Pages will attempt to reload its last saved application state each time you launch it. If it crashed or hung previously, you need to break that cycle by pressing the shift key while launching Pages. This may not solve the problem that is causing it to crash, but one thing at a time.

'Pages quit unexpectedly'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.