You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to go though multiple files and images and pick the destination folder with a keystroke

I've got so many duplicate images. I want to leave iPhoto/photos. I want to make 4 folders. "Best", "projects" "Pets" and "others"

there was an old app called quicknailer, it put your pics into thumbnail grid and would allow you to assign hotkeys to the move folders. this is what I need. is there any way I can make this happen? I can't handle this mess anymore. I'm going to manually make a repository of my favorites. iPhotos and photos have been a waste of my time. Im going to pull out the good pics and leave the mess in an archive in case needed.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 4:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 5:39 AM

Use the keyword manager. Create a keyword for each of your categories. For each keyword setup a keyboard shortcut.

Select the images (more than one at a time if you like) and use the appropriate shortcut.

Once you have categorised all the images, you can set up a smart album with (eg) keyword is pets, and it will display all the images you have marked as pets. Select them all and export to a folder.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 2, 2021 5:39 AM in response to Skeezeeks

Use the keyword manager. Create a keyword for each of your categories. For each keyword setup a keyboard shortcut.

Select the images (more than one at a time if you like) and use the appropriate shortcut.

Once you have categorised all the images, you can set up a smart album with (eg) keyword is pets, and it will display all the images you have marked as pets. Select them all and export to a folder.

Jan 2, 2021 7:50 AM in response to TonyCollinet

lots of photos aren't in iPhoto or photo. they're in massive folders. I ran into trouble with it saying this library is not compatible. so the files have all been pulled out of the photo libraries. id really like to find a finder based solution rather then photo. then I also have iPhone photos and photobooth libraries and DCIM from camera cause I stopped trusting any photo software by apple as well.

this is pretty much what happened to my iTunes library. I ended up letting it all get deleted. I don't want smart linking to multiple machines. I can make my own backups. I think LION is where it started going to **** for me.

my current photo library is empty. never booted it. so I don't know what to do. I don't want to throw them back into iPhoto./photo. I've never seen a program do as much chaotic damage as this. I don't even want to use it. am I supposed to drag all these back into iphoto? thats going to make massive dupes. the first time it went to photo my library was demolished then the incompatibility between versions and libraries made it so much worse. I don't have any idea how to start undoing it.

add to that the nightmare that is iCloud Drive... I've been with Mac since the //e. the Mac classic, Mac SE. Mac performa 6300, gumdrops, and now a series of Mac minis. if I can't come up with a solution I'll be ending my 30 year run with apple.

Jan 2, 2021 8:34 AM in response to Skeezeeks

OK - but you are asking in the photos for mac forum, so it is reasonable to assume that is what you are using.

In finder, you can set the folder view to thumbnails. You can then set tags for each of your categories. Set them as your first 4 favourite tags, and then you can use the shorcut ctrl-1 to ctrl-4 to assign them to images.

Assign the tags to your images, and then see them all in a single view by showing files with that tag.

See:

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/files-folders-tags-macos/

and

https://medium.com/innovation-design/how-to-add-a-shortcut-for-finder-tags-on-macos-mojave-65d1502ffd98

I would like to go though multiple files and images and pick the destination folder with a keystroke

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.