Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to manually arrange Folders in Photos?

I can take "My Albums", which has a lot of FOLDERS in it and right click, then "arrange by name", but from there there's a few folders I'd like to move - and the "drag & drop" option only lets me take a folder and add it to another folder, I can't manually arrange them. Very frustrating. Is there a way to do this? Drag and drop works for ALBUMS - but what's the deal with folders?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 7:40 AM

When I've had this experience, I decided that I was not holding the folder far enough to the left. If I pull the folder below another folder, but slightly to the right, it thinks I want it to be a sub-folder, But by hanging way to the left I convince it that I mean for it to not be inside the upper folder.

Of course, you could change the name of the folder to make it fit in the right order alphabetically, and then change the name back. I love tricking the computer...

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2023 7:40 AM in response to daveonbass

When I've had this experience, I decided that I was not holding the folder far enough to the left. If I pull the folder below another folder, but slightly to the right, it thinks I want it to be a sub-folder, But by hanging way to the left I convince it that I mean for it to not be inside the upper folder.

Of course, you could change the name of the folder to make it fit in the right order alphabetically, and then change the name back. I love tricking the computer...

Feb 18, 2023 5:18 AM in response to daveonbass

You should be able to arrange the folders by dragging them into the order you want in the sidebar.

Grab a folder in the sidebar and drag it between the two folders where you want it to be. Do not drag it onto another folder, this will put it into the folder. The blue line will show you where the folder will be inserted.

For example:

Feb 18, 2023 5:47 AM in response to léonie

SHOULD be able to, but can't. When I try to drag and drop the only option is to drop to another existing folder. No way to change the order without pulling a lower folder into "My Albums" - then it will show at the top, which works for me as I want three folders at the top - but really crazy there's no way to arrange folders better than that. Albums I'm able to move easily as you described...

Feb 18, 2023 7:58 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

OK, you solved everything two ways - awesome. You have to make sure you kinda "pull" the folder to the left a little bit right out of the gate when you reorganize. When you do that - to make sure it won't go in as a sub-folder - the blue dot showing where you're moving it to will show on the left side of the folder above it. If you just "drag and pull" like I was doing - the blue dot shows just to the right of the folder above it and will go in as a sub-folder - and there's no way to change it unless you go back and start over with that little pull to the left right out of the gate. Awesome.

And I love option #2 as well. Both work :)

Is there a way to manually arrange Folders in Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.