You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Albums that are in folders don't show up in iOS

apple forum post

albums in folders not showing up in iOS 16.5.1 / i have albums organized into folders from photos on mojave and/or in high sierra on my computers.

but if the albums are in a folder i don't see them in iOS 16.5.1

instead the folders are empty.

so i have to move them out of the folders when on my desktop when i need access from my phone and then i have to eventually go back to the desktop to reorganize them so i am not completely over run with albums.

how do i fix this please?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 12:19 PM

6 replies

Jul 10, 2023 2:26 PM in response to léonie

hi leonie,

so i am seeing now that the issue is not that albums in folders in Photos on my desktop on OSX do not show up as Albums in folders on my iphone in iOS.

they do show up as albums in folders.

what is happening is that they do not show up in FACEBOOK. so i can't see any images that i have organized as Albums in folders when i facebook.

this is kind of a marketing and organization nightmare.

it seems like either i can market images on facebook if i don't put them in folders (truly a mess) or i have to access individual images in Photos and take a screenshot of them to put them in the main photos album so i can access them one by one (also really not good).

any ideas on how to get for help on this please?(!)

Jun 30, 2023 12:40 PM in response to hotwheels22

I am seeing all standard albums from my iPhoto Library in folders also on my iPad and iPhone with iOS 16, when I am syncing them to my mobile devices with iCloud Photos.

Could it be, that the albums in the folders are smart albums? Smart albums are not shown on an iPhone or iPad, only standard albums.

Or are you syncing your albums manually from the Finder and not with iCloud Photos? Then you are indeed limited to top level albums .

Jun 30, 2023 4:19 PM in response to léonie

thanks for an always considered response leonie. it's really welcome.

i feel like i keep going back to my desktop (high sierra) and pulling albums out in order to see them on my phone (iOS 16 something).

i had a multi month fun one with Notes when i upgraded to mojave and i finally figure out i had to take the hashtag symbol out of any of my notes to see them in mojave.

i don't use smart albums.

is it possible something like a watermark on an image would make the whole album it was in disappear in iOS if it was in a folder?(!)

i can try this again but i seem to be going back and forth with it quite a bit as far as i remember.

that said, grouped albums in safari seem like they took a full week to show up on my phone. so maybe i need to wait it out...(?!).

Jul 1, 2023 3:31 AM in response to hotwheels22

I have not tried the manual syncing using the Finder during the last two years. I only tested it for a short time, after Apple deprecated the iTunes syncing. So I cannot really help with it. Sorry, hotwheeels22.

But I remember, that it has been intentionally, that the albums in folders did not sync. By now I prefer the syncing with iCloud Photos, as it is keeping automatically my Photos Library identical and perfectly in sync on all my devices.

Jul 11, 2023 2:44 AM in response to hotwheels22

That is the new Photo Picker in iOS 16 and iPadOS 16.

There is nothing we can do about the missing albums. In the most recent system versions we are supposed to use the improved search to find directly the photos we want - try to search for the filename or anything, that will narrow down the selection quickly, when you are accessing your photos from a different app.

My iCloud Photos Library is too large to find anything when accessing Photos from other apps right now.

Jul 11, 2023 7:30 AM in response to léonie

hi leonie,

thanks as always.

just so i am clear - this is an inbuilt feature of iOS 16.X? but it is not specific to the Photos app per se?

and facebook is - quite naturally i guess - using it so i can add photos to their app from my phone?

if so, this means i can't add any photos from Photos Albums i put in a folder? because i don't have any other way to select photos from within the app. i see a post, i click on a icon of an image and i see this dialog with "Camera Roll" at the top.

when i pull down from "Camera Roll" then i see the image i posted earlier which i include again here.

this means for all intents and purposes iOS is not letting me see Albums organized in folders unless i am in the actual Photos App?

i can't see a workaround for this except to go to the photos app and take screenshots (i used to be able to just DUPLICATE the image and it would place the photo "up front" but now i am taking screenshots and cropping which is another problem i am having...

anyway, or i have to not use Photos Folder functionality.

this seems like a bug to me.

what's my workaround? not use Folders in Photos app...?(!)

> sorry no attached image. i CAN see all my subfolders here i the apple forum for some reason but now i am getting some kind of image too large or file suffix error i don't understand.

Photo Albums that are in folders don't show up in iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.