Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Reinstall os x from recovery erase everything on my MacHD?

I cannot enter my admin account. I've tried everything this far to creat a new user but it simply doesn't work. So I'm thinking about reinstalling the os from recovery, will this erase all my data?

Kind regards

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 10:02 AM

Do have look at the Apple Support Doc regarding resetting the computer password before attempting to reinstall El Capitan from Recovery Mode.

But, to answer the question , No, it should not erase your data. It should keep all personal info., settings, Apps in place. It will replace corrupted or missing System Files.

3 replies

Jan 2, 2021 10:46 AM in response to PRP_53

Hej Mr. Phillips. Thank you so much for the response.

I know the password to the account, so that is not the issue. I get the spinning wheel when I try to log in, and don't get anywhere. This is after a sudden error when I filled my HD with to much data a couple of days ago.

After installing an OS on a separate HD I could go in to my main HD and erase some files, now I have anough storage so that my mac can run properly. The only thing is that I tried to creat a new user from "single user mode" (cmd + s) with the ... .AppleSetupDone command. This didn't work, so backtracked and now I can't find my original account, but I have managed to creat new ones. Though I can't enter any of them, I just get the spinning wheel.

So now I'm thinking I should reinstall my OS. But I'm afraid of loosing everything.

Thanks

Will Reinstall os x from recovery erase everything on my MacHD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.