Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to convert airport time capsule hard drive to external backup drive

My Apple Airport Time Capsule is overheating, and basically could be unsafe for use so I decided to remove it's internal HDD (my Time Machine backup disk), and put it in a 3.5" HDD casing. I am having trouble making my macbook recognise the external hard drive as my back up disk over wifi (Airport). Does anybody share the same trouble?

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 8:12 PM

Sir, since Apple has discontinued these products (Network related product, I suppose?), is it possible to buy another network drive (without the HDD), and plug my current HDD, and just resume using the backup in “sparsebundle.”

I'm not going to say that it is impossible, but having tried this in the past and failed after spending hours with the support folks who all said it "should work", I would not recommend that you try this.

Or can I plug my External HDD to the USB port of my router, and back up the same way I did using Airport Time Capsule? - sorry if this sound too amateur

Yes, if your router is an Apple router. And yes, if it is another router by Synology or Asus, since these products support Time Machine to a USB drive connected to the USB port. Most other routers will not support Time Machine backups to a drive connected to their USB port.

I hope Apple can develop a software to help Airport TC Time Machine users “backup/migrate” to local backup with ease, because I am sure all Airport TC users will encounter same problem sooner or later as the Airport Time Capsule ages.

Unfortunately, Apple has done virtually nothing in the way of support since they discontinued the Time Capsule and other AriPorts in April 2018, so......in my opinion.....I would not expect them to change their ways.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2021 8:12 PM in response to voiyong

Sir, since Apple has discontinued these products (Network related product, I suppose?), is it possible to buy another network drive (without the HDD), and plug my current HDD, and just resume using the backup in “sparsebundle.”

I'm not going to say that it is impossible, but having tried this in the past and failed after spending hours with the support folks who all said it "should work", I would not recommend that you try this.

Or can I plug my External HDD to the USB port of my router, and back up the same way I did using Airport Time Capsule? - sorry if this sound too amateur

Yes, if your router is an Apple router. And yes, if it is another router by Synology or Asus, since these products support Time Machine to a USB drive connected to the USB port. Most other routers will not support Time Machine backups to a drive connected to their USB port.

I hope Apple can develop a software to help Airport TC Time Machine users “backup/migrate” to local backup with ease, because I am sure all Airport TC users will encounter same problem sooner or later as the Airport Time Capsule ages.

Unfortunately, Apple has done virtually nothing in the way of support since they discontinued the Time Capsule and other AriPorts in April 2018, so......in my opinion.....I would not expect them to change their ways.

Jan 2, 2021 7:26 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob, thanks for your help. Yes, you are correct. I removed the HDD from time capsule, and placed the HDD into an enclosure. The HDD is now connected directly to my macbook, but Time Machine won’t perform backup, and says: Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “APconfig”. - Ann Error occurred while enabling ownership on the backup disk. You may need to repair or erase the disk using Disk Utility. If disk can’t be repaired, select a different disl for backups.

Attached below is my setup.

Thank you very much for your respond & time.

Jan 2, 2021 7:36 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for your respond LaPastengue. You are correct. I found 3 files, the APswap, APconfig, and ASRNewVolume. I run the First Aid on APConfig, it was completed, but the Time Machine couldn’t continue backing up and show message that Appears to be (photo as posted). I’m afraid if I reformat the disk, all my past backups will be gone?

Jan 2, 2021 10:24 AM in response to voiyong

So, you removed the hard drive from the Time Capsule and placed into a caddy or enclosure, correct?

Is the caddy or enclosure connected directly to a USB port on your Mac? That is the only way that the device will act like an "external" hard drive.

If if the enclosure is not connected directly to the USB port on your Mac....... how is the enclosure connected to your network? Please assume that we cannot see your network, so things that are obvious to you are totally unknown to us. We'll only know as much as you can tell us.

Jan 2, 2021 1:47 PM in response to voiyong

When you plug the USB drive into a computer check the drive using disk utility.

It should have three partitions. Only Data is relevant.

Computers may not be able to connect to the Sparsebundle unless the disk is plugged directly to that particular computer.. but backups should not be done this way.. you should low level format the disk and start over if directly connected to computer.

If plugged into the TC it should work if it is working when you plug it into the computer.

Not all USB enclosures allow you to read a previously formatted drive so check this is working via Finder on a computer.

Jan 2, 2021 7:40 PM in response to voiyong

OK, thanks for the additional information.

Unfortunately, Time Machine backs up differently to a drive connected directly to a Mac than it does to a "network" drive like a Time Capsule. When the drive is installed in the Time Capsule, Time Machine backs up to special type of container called a sparsebundle. When a drive is connected directly to a Mac, Time Machine backs up in a normal way to normal folders.

The two types of drives are not interchangeable. So, you won't be able to continue backing up to the Time Caspule drive in the enclosure without some modifications.

If you value the data on the Time Capsule drive in the enclosure, you will need to try to first copy all the data on the drive over to another drive for safekeeping.

Then.....you will need to erase the Time Caspule drive using Disk Utility and set up a new Time Machine backup again, selecting the "new" drive and then copying everything on the Mac over to the "new" drive for the first backup. After that, Time Machine will back up "incrementally" to the new drive.

Jan 2, 2021 7:51 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for the very enlightening infos.

Jan 2, 2021 7:57 PM in response to voiyong

APconfig and APswap are tiny partitions used by the Time Capsule internally. They are only about 1GB.. the main shared partition is under ASRnewvolume.

If you wish to keep using this disk plug the USB back into the Time Capsule and make sure it is being shared to the network. You will need to reconfigure Time Machine to match the new URL.

Otherwise buy a new disk and keep the old one in a draw for archive of the old backups and start over with the new disk. This will work much better and you can plan properly to partition it into 3 roughly equal parts and use one for each computer.

Jan 2, 2021 8:27 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Sir Bob, you’re amazing! Your effort, personal time dedicated to help is very much appreciated. THANK YOU. In some way you are a hero to other people. Your sharings and help will never be forgotten. I know how much time it takes up to solve other peoples’ concern, and fee people have the heart to help. Thank you. Now I know all my options. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

how to convert airport time capsule hard drive to external backup drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.