Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The following disk images couldn't be opened. Resource is busy.

Hi guys. I'm having problems since I updated my laptop to Big Sur, whenever I downloaded a file that is .dmg (a GIMP download file) I can't seem to open it even after restarting. Will there be a way I can somehow open a disk file? Thank you very much.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 7:06 PM

Try rebooting the laptop.

I encountered issues opening archived files in .zip or .dmg formats with older versions of macOS on a couple of our organization's Macs which were due to file system issues on the drive. Run Disk Utility First Aid on the drive (or better yet the hidden Container). Even if First Aid reports everything as "Ok" click on "Show Details" and look for any unfixed errors. If there are unfixed errors, then you will need to erase the whole physical drive and restore from a backup or clone.

Try reinstalling macOS over top of itself. If this doesn't work, then try a clean install by first erasing the whole physical drive.

Edit: I'm assuming you tried downloading another copy? Does this only happen with the Gimp .dmg or other archives? Since Big Sur is so new, perhaps you are encountering a bug with Big Sur.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2021 7:06 PM in response to djicon

Try rebooting the laptop.

I encountered issues opening archived files in .zip or .dmg formats with older versions of macOS on a couple of our organization's Macs which were due to file system issues on the drive. Run Disk Utility First Aid on the drive (or better yet the hidden Container). Even if First Aid reports everything as "Ok" click on "Show Details" and look for any unfixed errors. If there are unfixed errors, then you will need to erase the whole physical drive and restore from a backup or clone.

Try reinstalling macOS over top of itself. If this doesn't work, then try a clean install by first erasing the whole physical drive.

Edit: I'm assuming you tried downloading another copy? Does this only happen with the Gimp .dmg or other archives? Since Big Sur is so new, perhaps you are encountering a bug with Big Sur.

The following disk images couldn't be opened. Resource is busy.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.