Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time to replace my AirPort Extreme Base Station A1408?

My AirPort Extreme Base Station A1408 is a bit slow compared to my faster new fiber broad band? Should I replace it? With what?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 9:14 AM

Should you replace it? Yes. It is outdated and Apple has exited the networking hardware business.

What should you replace it with? Two important considerations to make:

1. Do you plan on continuing to use the modem/gateway that your ISP has provided you?
  2. Does your ISP provide you with a list of supported routers?

On the first item, if your ISP is providing you with a simple modem, and not, a combination modem/router, or gateway device, you will only need another router to replace the AirPort Extreme. On the other hand, if they are already providing you with a gateway device, then no replacement router would be necessary.

On the second item, contact your ISP and see if they have a compatibility list. This should help with narrowing down what devices should work. You can then compare them at the SmallNetBuilder.com site to see which meet most of your networking goals.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2021 9:14 AM in response to skvatten

Should you replace it? Yes. It is outdated and Apple has exited the networking hardware business.

What should you replace it with? Two important considerations to make:

1. Do you plan on continuing to use the modem/gateway that your ISP has provided you?
  2. Does your ISP provide you with a list of supported routers?

On the first item, if your ISP is providing you with a simple modem, and not, a combination modem/router, or gateway device, you will only need another router to replace the AirPort Extreme. On the other hand, if they are already providing you with a gateway device, then no replacement router would be necessary.

On the second item, contact your ISP and see if they have a compatibility list. This should help with narrowing down what devices should work. You can then compare them at the SmallNetBuilder.com site to see which meet most of your networking goals.

Jan 2, 2021 1:54 PM in response to skvatten

You do need to fill us in with what your budget is and actual requirements.

It is relatively easy to find a new AC or AX router.. there are heaps on the market.

We tend to like products from Asus (not the cheapies) or Synology.

But mesh is the new wonderkid on the block. Mesh offers far superior wireless performance.. so it depends on the size of your house and construction. Particularly to get fast wireless to remote corners .. mesh is the way to go..

Apple store sell mesh systems from Linksys (velop) Eero and Netgear. Those might be good choices.. buy wherever price and service is best for you.

Jan 2, 2021 5:36 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for your answer. I need a long-range router to cover a 4-floor, 350 m2 wooden house. My router now is on the second floor. I have an extender on the same floor to get better coverage behind a bathroom. I also have an extender via the mains electricity network on the first floor which works fine. I earlier got the internet via coaxial cable but have now installed fiber and noted that the speed on the ethernet-linked computer is at least 3 times faster than the wi-fi even when I am close to the router. So I want to upgrade the router. Problem is that there are so many different brands and generations and..... We are normally only 2 persons in the house and we are no gamers. I want a simple, efficient and reliable router that can just sit and do the job. The AirPort Extreme Base Station A1408 has worked fine for many years and caused no problems at all. I never think of it and it is quiet and cool. Only problem is that the speed drops so dramatically through the wi-fi. The MAC site recommended Linksys MR83000 but is it really the best up-to-date router? Any suggestions? There is also Asus rt-ac88u. Problem is not the lack of routers but the opposite - which one to buy of them all on the market and sometimes it is also difficult to understand if a test has been done recently or 4 years ago. New models seem to come every year.

Jan 2, 2021 7:45 PM in response to skvatten

There is also Asus rt-ac88u.

Just happens to be my current router. Out of production now I would think since the AX88U came along.

Linksys MR83000 but is it really the best up-to-date router?

No but is a reasonable buy depending on what you are after.

I will not buy Linksys now since it is owned by Belkin.. and has no inbuilt setup.

But it is up to you to read the reviews. This one is dated Feb 2020 and I would say well out of date already.

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/linksys-max-stream-mr8300

I do use the reviews as Tesserax has mentioned smallnetbuilder although they seem to have fallen behind.. I like the ones from Dong.

https://dongknows.com/best-wi-fi-6-routers/

If the aim is to buy latest router then wifi6 or AX is well worth the extra. Do check out wifi6 mesh options as well.

For your house with 4 floors it might well be time to figure out a wired setup.

At least one ethernet port on each level and use 3x Access Points which are plugged into the ethernet. They are far superior cf wireless backhaul mesh or using Powerline adapters.

The better grade mesh can also handle ethernet backhaul and you can buy quite cheap ones.. eg TP-Link Deco M5 (or M9) 3 pack.

Or buy better grade products like Ubiquiti UAP or TP-Link EAP245 for example. You will need a controller but pricing is very reasonable.. learning curve is a bit steep but will give you business level wifi.. The wifi 6 versions are still coming so you will need to wait a bit.. but they are in the pipeline.

In my own situation I use ethernet to all the required areas of the house with everything that does not move wired to ethernet via switches or router running as AP. I recently installed the TP-Link EAP225 x 3 with a controller for a friend who runs a boarding house.. which needed something more pro level.. but cost wise is cheaper than many domestic systems.

If all of that is too much just buy wireless mesh.. Netgear Orbi seem to be one of the best and check to make sure it can be configured locally as well as via mobile phone.

Jan 3, 2021 11:18 AM in response to skvatten

Post back if you have setup issues.. but they are fairly straightforward.

I use Merlin firmware on my Asus routers.. just that bit better without having any issues about warranty. Asus treat it as beta and support the guy doing it.

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

It does support Time Machine to a USB drive.. but I do recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner as backup software.. it was not as reliable running Time Machine but YMMV.

Time to replace my AirPort Extreme Base Station A1408?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.