Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just took out the hard drive , but now the mac wont turn on and the sleep indicator keeps on flashing

So I had to check something on my drive on my mid-2010 13” MBP , so I took out the hard drive , detached it from the ribbon and put it back (all with the battery disconnected) but now it just won’t turn on. There is nothing on the screen and only the sleep indicator beside the IR sensor keeps on flashing continuously.

I have tried all combination to run diagnosis, recovery mode and troubleshooting, please help I have an important board meeting coming up.

also, the disk is readable as I tried it on another device using a USB adapter.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 8:34 PM

The memory module nearest the Keyboard can sometimes pop loose especially when inserting or removing the module nearest the Bottom Case. After installing the memory I like to gently press on the edge of the module nearest the Keyboard using a non-metallic non-conductive item like a nylon stick or toothpick to make sure it is firmly latched. Just make sure not to touch any of the very small & fragile surface mount components on the memory or you will damage the memory.

You can also try disconnecting the battery and powering on the laptop using just the power adapter in case the battery is causing a problem. Try an SMC Reset.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2021 8:34 PM in response to rajeev_02

The memory module nearest the Keyboard can sometimes pop loose especially when inserting or removing the module nearest the Bottom Case. After installing the memory I like to gently press on the edge of the module nearest the Keyboard using a non-metallic non-conductive item like a nylon stick or toothpick to make sure it is firmly latched. Just make sure not to touch any of the very small & fragile surface mount components on the memory or you will damage the memory.

You can also try disconnecting the battery and powering on the laptop using just the power adapter in case the battery is causing a problem. Try an SMC Reset.

Jan 4, 2021 11:07 AM in response to rajeev_02

Sure. Just keep an eye on the module nearest the keyboard to make sure it doesn't pop loose when reinstalling the other module nearest the Bottom Case.

If reseating the memory doesn't help, then you may need to try one module at a time by itself and test each slot to determine if one module or one slot may be bad.

I just took out the hard drive , but now the mac wont turn on and the sleep indicator keeps on flashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.