Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Mail on El Capitan no longer connecting to iCloud or Gmail?

I’m running El Capitan on a 2008 aluminium unibody MacBook. I’ve always used this Mac and the Mail app to connect to my two email accounts (iCloud and Google).

About a month ago, both accounts abruptly stopped syncing. They will not connect however many settings I change. I’ve double checked the settings and even removed and added the accounts again — nothing works.

Any idea what has gone wrong? It is an old machine and I’m wondering whether a corrupted application file could possibly be to blame?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 5:23 AM

After many sleepless nights, I found the answer here and it had nothing to do with my Mac or the mail server. Apparently my internet service provider decided to upgrade my router and the firewall security began to block my mails. After lowering the security level via the router settings, everything started working again! Relieved but a very frustrating experience.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2021 5:23 AM in response to mrjp84

After many sleepless nights, I found the answer here and it had nothing to do with my Mac or the mail server. Apparently my internet service provider decided to upgrade my router and the firewall security began to block my mails. After lowering the security level via the router settings, everything started working again! Relieved but a very frustrating experience.

Why is Mail on El Capitan no longer connecting to iCloud or Gmail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.