Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My two WhatsApp accounts have (selectively) merged and I’ve lost most of my chat history on one of the accounts as a result

Folks,

Am really hoping someone can help here. I have two iPhones with two separate WhatsApp accounts - one for work, one personal - and have been using them for several years. A few months ago, in the process of upgrading both devices, I went through the usual process of backing up WhatsApp (and everything else on the phone) to iCloud, before setting up the new phones.

Everything appeared normal initially, until I began to go back and look at the chat history on one of the phones, and realised that most (but not all) of the chats conducted with people whose names were in the contacts, had been merged on both phones, and only went back to a certain date (from memory, that date appears to roughly coincide with my switching from one WhatsApp to the other as my primary work device).

These are two unique WhatsApp numbers and I don’t see any reason why this can have happened. Has anyone encountered anything like this, and is there any way for me to retrieve my WhatsApp history in full?

Thanks for any guidance here.

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 4:55 PM

chintab wrote:

Folks,

Am really hoping someone can help here. I have two iPhones with two separate WhatsApp accounts - one for work, one personal - and have been using them for several years. A few months ago, in the process of upgrading both devices, I went through the usual process of backing up WhatsApp (and everything else on the phone) to iCloud, before setting up the new phones.

Everything appeared normal initially, until I began to go back and look at the chat history on one of the phones, and realised that most (but not all) of the chats conducted with people whose names were in the contacts, had been merged on both phones, and only went back to a certain date (from memory, that date appears to roughly coincide with my switching from one WhatsApp to the other as my primary work device).

These are two unique WhatsApp numbers and I don’t see any reason why this can have happened. Has anyone encountered anything like this, and is there any way for me to retrieve my WhatsApp history in full?

This isn't an Apple or Apple device issue, nor is it an Apple app, you should reach out to Whatsapp or look at their support site for help with their app.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2021 4:55 PM in response to chintab

chintab wrote:

Folks,

This isn't an Apple or Apple device issue, nor is it an Apple app, you should reach out to Whatsapp or look at their support site for help with their app.

My two WhatsApp accounts have (selectively) merged and I’ve lost most of my chat history on one of the accounts as a result

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.