Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folder with question mark at startup

I was using Windows 8.1 which was installed via BootCamp and suddenly one day the folder with question mark started appearing at boot after the iMac chime after which I need to power off the iMac holding the power button (which I believe is bad for the HDD) and turning it on again and again several times before the system finally detects the bootable disks (Macintosh HD and BOOTCAMP Windows).

I have tried diagnosing the drives for any errors, run Windows memory diagnostic service as well but no issues were found with the harddrive. I then did a clean install of Windows 10 but still the problem continues to persist. Any solutions?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 2:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 10:53 AM

It is clear that sometimes the computer is not able to see its operating system. Maybe this is due to a corruption problem or the drive may be failing. if you are using Bootcamp, I assume that a Mac OS is installed. That may be where the problem is. Try restarting while holding the Option key down to start up in the Mac OS. Then run its Disk Utility and see what it reports.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2021 10:53 AM in response to iMacUser2077

It is clear that sometimes the computer is not able to see its operating system. Maybe this is due to a corruption problem or the drive may be failing. if you are using Bootcamp, I assume that a Mac OS is installed. That may be where the problem is. Try restarting while holding the Option key down to start up in the Mac OS. Then run its Disk Utility and see what it reports.

Jan 3, 2021 1:15 PM in response to iMacUser2077

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Folder with question mark at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.