Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2015 Macbook Pro shutting down over night after NVMe SSD Swap

My Macbook Pro had 128gb of storage and I wanted more so I figured I'd throw a new SSD in and see if it worked. I installed a 500gb Western Digital Blue SSD with some cheesy adapter I got off Amazon. Everything seems to be working fine, except it shuts down while hibernating overnight. It has happened roughly every other night since I did this a week ago.

Has anyone had experience with this? Should I just revert to my original Apple SSD?

Here's the error report for anyone who speaks machine: https://pastebin.com/vQLmXYjG

Thanks in advance for any advice.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 7:47 PM

That Kernel Panic is indeed referencing an SSD issue. Most likely it is a hardware issue, but there is a chance you may have some third party software driver installed that is interfering with the macOS NVMe driver. Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Which adapter did you purchase? The only reliable adapter I've seen recommended recommended on these forums is Sintech.

You can also uncheck "Put hard drive to sleep when possible" located in the Energy Saver System Preferences. Some SSDs have trouble waking from system sleep.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2021 7:47 PM in response to spenceey

That Kernel Panic is indeed referencing an SSD issue. Most likely it is a hardware issue, but there is a chance you may have some third party software driver installed that is interfering with the macOS NVMe driver. Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Which adapter did you purchase? The only reliable adapter I've seen recommended recommended on these forums is Sintech.

You can also uncheck "Put hard drive to sleep when possible" located in the Energy Saver System Preferences. Some SSDs have trouble waking from system sleep.

Early 2015 Macbook Pro shutting down over night after NVMe SSD Swap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.