Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Crashes on Sleep After Upgrading SSD

I upgraded my original 256GB SSD to a 1TB SSD. Now, whenever my Mac goes to sleep, I get a kernel panic.

Has anyone seen this before, and if so, do you have a solution (besides never allowing the Mac to go to sleep, that is)?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 1:36 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 13, 2021 10:21 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks to all who replied with suggestions. TL;DR It looks like the new SSD might be faulty. Here is what I did.

• Restarted in safe mode. Selected Apple Menu > Sleep. Machine crashed again. I noticed that the machine actually appeared to wake up before crashing, so the crash might actually be happing during the wakeup.
  • Restarted in Apple Diagnostics. Diagnostics reported error code "VCH002: There may be a problem with a storage device."

The new SSD was an OWC Aura Pro X2. I will contact OWC to see if they have suggestions. I update once I speak with OWC.

In case that doesn't work out, here is the additional information people asked for.

The model is iMac17,1. I performed a clean install of 11.5.1, and then migrated data and apps from a Time Machine backup. Here is the last kernel panic log. Sorry, can't seem to figure out how to get a plain text version.

Aug 10, 2021 9:55 AM in response to rmatt2000

Hi there rmatt2000,

From what we can tell, you're seeing a kernel panic on your iMac after it goes to sleep since upgrading the SSD. We're glad you're here, and we can help.

You'll want to work through all the suggested steps in this link:

If your Mac restarts and a message appears

We hope this information is helpful. Don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any more questions.

Take care.

Aug 10, 2021 6:39 PM in response to rmatt2000

What is the exact model of your Mac? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and select "About This Mac".

What is the make & model of the new SSD?

How did you set up the new SSD? Did you clone it (if so how) or did you perform a clean install of macOS and restore/migrate from a backup?

Please post several of the Kernel Panic logs. You can find the Kernel Panic logs in "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports". The file names will begin with "kernel" and end in ".panic". Post the reports here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Aug 20, 2021 9:32 AM in response to HWTech

Just a postscript: I called OWC tech support. Despite the Amazon page saying this SSD was "compatible with iMacs late 2016 - 2019", it turns out that several of their PCI SSDs (unfortunately including the one I bought) are not 100% compatible with iMac model 17,1, due to PCI bus power issues when waking from hibernation.

The workaround I was given was to turn off hibernation:

% sudo pmset -a standby 0

If this does not solve the problem, I'll update this thread.

Mac Crashes on Sleep After Upgrading SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.