Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac crashes when waking up after SSD upgrade

I installed a Crucial MX500 SSD in my late 2013 iMac 21.5 and for ages now whenever my Mac goes to sleep I get a kernel panic and a "sleep wake failure in EFI"

I have tried disabling hibernation mode but I need to check what other settings might help as a work around?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 15, 2022 12:31 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

May 15, 2022 12:59 AM in response to jezame_

Perhaps an older macOS version such as High Sierra, or Mojave, needs to be installed

with the idea the hardware may need a firmware update. While that may not exactly

be the case; yet plan on using your backups, to restore a newer installation afterward.

You may need to use a USB Installer; instructions for doing so are on Support pages.

• How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

//support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Most older macOS downloadable installers are online still, here:

• How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

//support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

There also may be another problem, not exactly certain;

but a newer SSD brings with it, newer level of issues. A

need to start from an external system, can troubleshoot.

Wonder if you've made a full system clone, that can run

from an external enclosure; self-powered, etc; since that

could tell several things. (Also some SSDs won't work.)

Was your Mac a Fusion drive model?

May 15, 2022 3:49 PM in response to jezame_

Perhaps you may get and try the utility EtreCheck to see what's going on.

That may could be insightful; and good tool to have. It's free from maker.

• About EtreCheck Pro:

https://etrecheck.com/about

Additional important details about EtreCheck:

• How to use the 'Add Text' Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text: i.e. an EtreCheck Report - Apple Community

//discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Also to look around in detail DriveDX is useful and could spot issues.

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx has free trial-intervals, prior to buying.

• How to use DriveDx - Apple Community (user tip)

//discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250004005

• How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

//support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

The native 'Disk Utility' & 'Activity Monitor' applications show stuff, too.

May 16, 2022 10:06 AM in response to jezame_

In the Energy Saver System Preferences disable the "Put hard drive to sleep when possible" option. There is no need to sleep the SSD through the OS. The SSD will go into its own low power mode when necessary (at least this is what Crucial told users years ago for the MX500 series). Letting the SSD stay powered on is also good as it will allow the SSD's internal maintenance routines to run when the drive is not being used which is especially important if TRIM is not enabled.

You may want to enable TRIM on the SSD:

sudo  trimforce  enable

You may want to check the health of the SSD by running DriveDx. Post the complete DriveDx text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

May 23, 2022 6:38 PM in response to jezame_

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I've been extremely busy.

The general SSD report looks Ok, but the SSD has been running hot at some point as the lifetime temperature has gone to 72C. The maximum operating temp of the SSD is 70C so the SSD will throttle itself to lower its temperature to a safe range. Hard to say if this is due to the iMac running too hot, or whether the SSD itself is the source of the heat (or both).

I'm not certain about a couple of other values since it has been a while since I have checked any of our organization's MX500 SSDs in any extended detail.

How has the laptop been running since you implemented the changes?

iMac crashes when waking up after SSD upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.