Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outlook search through mail

Other people have reported this problem I know...

my 2014 Ipad air 2 searches through my outlook mail boxes perfectly! 😉👍

My 2020 Ipad Pro upgrade does not! 🙄 If I search through my mail boxes by a word it either finds nothing or mail from months back but nothing recent! It’s most annoying! You pay £1200 for an upgrade & in this matter my outdated ipad works perfectly but my new one doesn’t! 🙄😫😡 It’s really annoying!! Why? Good job I didn’t trade my old one in!

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 6:07 AM

I won’t claim to understand half of what u said there but after using my Ipad Air 2 128GB for 6 years I bought my Ipod touch 2nd Gen 256GB. This device allowed searching outlook mail by word immediately. I switched devices & the ipod almost immediately allowed access to my complete mailbox. Past - before I had the new device & present).

I’ve bought a new Ipad Pro 1TB at considerably cost & from the getgo it won’t allow searching my mail as my previous 2 Apple devices both do perfectly. This is really rather annoying me! 😉.

I’m not a techie but surely if the first 2 Apple devices do it then logically my £1200 upgrade should do it too?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2021 6:07 AM in response to LotusPilot

I won’t claim to understand half of what u said there but after using my Ipad Air 2 128GB for 6 years I bought my Ipod touch 2nd Gen 256GB. This device allowed searching outlook mail by word immediately. I switched devices & the ipod almost immediately allowed access to my complete mailbox. Past - before I had the new device & present).

I’ve bought a new Ipad Pro 1TB at considerably cost & from the getgo it won’t allow searching my mail as my previous 2 Apple devices both do perfectly. This is really rather annoying me! 😉.

I’m not a techie but surely if the first 2 Apple devices do it then logically my £1200 upgrade should do it too?

Jan 6, 2021 7:32 AM in response to Jonny987

Hi Jonny987,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with searching your Outlook mail account on your new iPad.

For reference, here is the mail search article: Search for and view email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Is your old iPad also running iPadOS 14? Are both devices fully updated?

Have you ever tested this issue with the standalone Outlook app? Microsoft Outlook

Let us know further details.

Have a fantastic day!

Jan 6, 2021 10:20 AM in response to MichaelB2019

I’m currently using ios 14.3 on my ipad air 2, ipod touch 256 gb & ipad pro 2nd gen 1tb. So yes all of my devices are up-to-date. 

My ipad air 2 has always searched outlook via a word ever since I bought it in 2014. My ipod touch ditto since I bought it almost a year ago. 

my ipad pro won’t do it & never has! I know all of the info in the provided link. Searching outlook mail using a word does not work on my ipad pro. It works perfectly on my other 2 devices. 

App no, never needed to on other 2 devices. 

Jan 8, 2021 5:53 AM in response to Jonny987

I’ll take a stab at the potential cause of the problem... noting that this information is based entirely upon observed behaviour.

As emails are downloaded to the Mail inbox, they are locally “cached” on the device - and during this process are indexed by the system. When email messages are subsequently moved to a folder, the “index” (locally stored on the device) is updated. When searching for an email, it is the index that is actively searched - not the email messages as might be anticipated.

Assuming that you are using an IMAP mailbox, all email messages are held on the server until they are deleted - at which time deleted email is fully deleted from the server. When deleted, your iPad sees the deletion(s) and updates its local index.

If you switch to a new device, when setting-up email, only the recent existing email message headers are downloaded from the IMAP mail server - not the body text. As such, the local index only contains new Mail messages and the message headers of recent email.

You will likely see this mechanism at work if your start by looking at your most recently received email - where you will instantly see both the header and body text. Now, move down your inbox, one message at a time; again you should see both header and body of recent messages - these are all indexed and searchable.

Now, scroll down through your inbox; you will very likely see your Mail client briefly pause as it retrieves a “block” of Mail headers (but not body text) from the Mail server. When accessing these messages, only then is the body retrieved from the Server - and is locally indexed - to make it searchable on the device.

When switching between devices, I have noticed that it has been necessary to individually access each email message (in each folder) to rebuild a searchable local index on the device.

This seems to be a fundamental limitation of iOS/iPadOS, to which only the described (time consuming) workaround seemingly exists. There doesn’t appear to be a mechanism that actively downloads an entire Mailbox, from the Server, when setting-up an email account on a new/replacement device.

Whilst not being able to provide a solution, I hope this insight provides some useful explanation of the potential issue.

Jan 8, 2021 5:58 AM in response to MichaelB2019

Just tried both of those things. Still no joy, unfortunately. 😫 I bought 2 Ipad Pro 1TB 2nd Gen tablets at the same time & neither of them do it. I tried searching outlook mail by word on my partners last night. Same problem there too.

I use my ipad pro 4 everything but still have 2 keep picking up my ipod touch when searching my mail box.

Outlook search through mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.