Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to connect my iPhone to Wi-Fi

The grey button for the WiFi is not coming on. And I’m trying to update my phone but it won’t let me because I’m not connect to WiFi. How do I fix it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 9:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 1:52 AM

Privacy Settings

1. Toggle off Location Services. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and turn it off
  2. Many users find that disabling System Services’ WiFi Networking solves the problem
  3. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > and toggle off WiFi Networking

Consider more secure wifi configuration.

Change your router’s WiFi to use WPA2-AES (CCMP) with no WPA or TKIP. Updating this setting ensures that your devices always connect in one encryption mode

1. TKIP is obsolete and not considered secure. Choose WPA2, the latest encryption standard, with AES encryption for optimal security
  2. If your router doesn’t specify TKIP or AES, the WPA2 option probably uses AES

Try a Reset ALL Settings.

This is usually the last resort since it resets all your personalised features back to factory defaults

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

• This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms
    • Resetting all settings also reverts all your personalised and customised features like wallpapers and accessibility settings back to factory defaults.
    • Performing this action does not impact any of your personal device data, including photos, texts, documents, and other files
    • You need to reconfigure these settings once your iPhone or iDevice restarts

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2021 1:52 AM in response to CutebrownskinKay

Privacy Settings

1. Toggle off Location Services. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and turn it off
  2. Many users find that disabling System Services’ WiFi Networking solves the problem
  3. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > and toggle off WiFi Networking

Consider more secure wifi configuration.

Change your router’s WiFi to use WPA2-AES (CCMP) with no WPA or TKIP. Updating this setting ensures that your devices always connect in one encryption mode

1. TKIP is obsolete and not considered secure. Choose WPA2, the latest encryption standard, with AES encryption for optimal security
  2. If your router doesn’t specify TKIP or AES, the WPA2 option probably uses AES

Try a Reset ALL Settings.

This is usually the last resort since it resets all your personalised features back to factory defaults

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

• This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms
    • Resetting all settings also reverts all your personalised and customised features like wallpapers and accessibility settings back to factory defaults.
    • Performing this action does not impact any of your personal device data, including photos, texts, documents, and other files
    • You need to reconfigure these settings once your iPhone or iDevice restarts

Unable to connect my iPhone to Wi-Fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.