Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Video Clips Not Opening in iPhoto

My new iPhone video clips and some photos are not opening on my MacBook Pro when imported into the iPhoto Library. Does anyone know what setting to update? This supposed "new" and more flexible video format is not readable by my MacBook. I am using OSX El Capitan.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 7:35 AM

Hi

Your macos is quite old, and doesn't recognise the HEIC images your new phone is probably taking, and certainly can't do the Dolby Vision video.

You will need to change the camera settings to record in formats your mac can use, or upgrade your mac.

Settings>camera>formats - choose most compatible (which is jpg)

settings>camera>record video - turn off HDR Video. Depending on the performance of your mac, you might also want to select a 1080P format rather than 4K

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2021 7:35 AM in response to KatieMurray

Hi

Your macos is quite old, and doesn't recognise the HEIC images your new phone is probably taking, and certainly can't do the Dolby Vision video.

You will need to change the camera settings to record in formats your mac can use, or upgrade your mac.

Settings>camera>formats - choose most compatible (which is jpg)

settings>camera>record video - turn off HDR Video. Depending on the performance of your mac, you might also want to select a 1080P format rather than 4K

iPhone 12 Video Clips Not Opening in iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.