Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet/computer trouble

My mac says it is connected to my internet but it wont work on it. I have restarted my internet and my computer many times but to no avail. What should I do?

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 12:39 PM

You need to exhaust all the steps in If you can't open a website in Safari on Mac - Apple Support. There are eleven of them. Eliminate each one of them. Proxy servers, VPNs, oddball DNS settings, non-Apple "firewalls" including "anti-virus" junk and / or "cleaning" scams... all of them are popular causes people tend to overlook.

Lastly try the following in an effort to confirm your Mac's hardware is working properly:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Load macOS Recovery by holding and r (two fingers) while you start your Mac with a third finger.
  3. At the macOS Utilities screen, release those two fingers.
  4. Choose Get Help Online.
  5. Safari will launch, but it will lack your bookmarks, favorites, history and other preferences.

Determine if the problem persists while using Safari in that mode. After that, restart your Mac normally, and reply with your observations.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2021 12:39 PM in response to Bri_strikerz2

You need to exhaust all the steps in If you can't open a website in Safari on Mac - Apple Support. There are eleven of them. Eliminate each one of them. Proxy servers, VPNs, oddball DNS settings, non-Apple "firewalls" including "anti-virus" junk and / or "cleaning" scams... all of them are popular causes people tend to overlook.

Lastly try the following in an effort to confirm your Mac's hardware is working properly:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Load macOS Recovery by holding and r (two fingers) while you start your Mac with a third finger.
  3. At the macOS Utilities screen, release those two fingers.
  4. Choose Get Help Online.
  5. Safari will launch, but it will lack your bookmarks, favorites, history and other preferences.

Determine if the problem persists while using Safari in that mode. After that, restart your Mac normally, and reply with your observations.

Jan 4, 2021 12:28 PM in response to Bri_strikerz2

That's ok since wireless vs. Ethernet makes no difference. Either one can be connected to your local network, but that local network needs an Internet connection. From what you describe you have no Internet connection, and there can be a number of reasons for that. If you don't know were to begin perhaps you should contact your Internet service provider.

You wrote that you "restarted your internet". That usually means restarting the equipment connected to your ISP. It can be a modem connected to a router, or a single combined modem / router. Restart it.

Internet/computer trouble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.