Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy and paste phone numbers isn’t working

I have an iPhone 12 mini (wasn’t listed as an option on the settings of this post). I am not able to copy a phone number and paste it in my keypad to call. I highlighted the number I wanted to call, opened up my keypad on the phone all and tried holding down my thumb to paste it like I normally do, but nothing pops up. Anyone else having this problem?

iPhone 11

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 2:01 PM

Ok so I figured it out. The iPhone 12 keypad types much higher up than the other phones (I switched from the 8 and it was a lot easier). The keypad is very specific on where you can touch to paste a phone number. It can’t be higher or lower. So if you type one number on your keypad to see where it starts typing, then delete it and try and paste the number on that same spot it should work.

I contacted apple support and this is what they told me.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2021 2:01 PM in response to sberman

Ok so I figured it out. The iPhone 12 keypad types much higher up than the other phones (I switched from the 8 and it was a lot easier). The keypad is very specific on where you can touch to paste a phone number. It can’t be higher or lower. So if you type one number on your keypad to see where it starts typing, then delete it and try and paste the number on that same spot it should work.

I contacted apple support and this is what they told me.

Jan 4, 2021 12:48 PM in response to mtho2014

mtho2014 wrote:

opened up my keypad on the phone all and tried holding down my thumb to paste it like I normally do, but nothing pops up.

Perhaps you observed that the keypad doesn’t offer any field to paste into.

The way to perform this operation is to call from the place you’re copying from. Here’s an example.

I typed this number in Notes.

Then I long pressed the number in Notes.

Jan 4, 2021 12:56 PM in response to sberman

Hi. Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately, not every phone number is hyperlinked to make a call. In the past I have had no issues copying the number that I want to call (whether it’s in an email or text message) and opening up the keypad to paste it and make the call. Now, after long pressing the “paste” option does not populate for some reason.

Jan 4, 2021 1:03 PM in response to mtho2014

mtho2014 wrote:

Unfortunately, not every phone number is hyperlinked to make a call.

There’s nothing at all magic about the hyperlink. I simply typed the number into the Notes app. Apple’s user interface was smart enough to recognize the format of what I typed as possibly being a telephone number and it took over from there.

Copy and paste phone numbers isn’t working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.