Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari connection issues big sur

Since updating to Big Sur on late 2014 Mac Safari does not always connect to a web site and times out but always connects to the Apple site. Have loaded Chrome and although a bit better, still suffers from same problem. Restarting the ISP router fixes the problem for a short time then it returns. iPad connected to the same router has no issues connecting. Any suggestions? Have reloaded Big Sur.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 10:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 3:59 PM

Hi Mario49

I moved to ISP router to within 1Mtr of the Mac to solve any possible interference but the same issue persisted. I have another suitable router and have connected it by wifi to the Mac and all of my other devices and after 24 hours all seem to be connecting as they should. The whole experience has been strange and illogical with all of my other devices connecting and only the Mac with the issue. Hopefully this solution keeps working and I will contact the ISP and seek a replacement router. Thanks for your suggestions.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2021 3:59 PM in response to mario49

Hi Mario49

I moved to ISP router to within 1Mtr of the Mac to solve any possible interference but the same issue persisted. I have another suitable router and have connected it by wifi to the Mac and all of my other devices and after 24 hours all seem to be connecting as they should. The whole experience has been strange and illogical with all of my other devices connecting and only the Mac with the issue. Hopefully this solution keeps working and I will contact the ISP and seek a replacement router. Thanks for your suggestions.

Jan 7, 2021 6:40 AM in response to Hodgeef

Hello Hodgeef,

After reviewing your post, it seems like Safari has trouble loading websites. There are a couple things you can try that may be able to help. We would recommend you read these articles and use them to help troubleshoot the issue.

If Safari doesn't load a page or webpage items are missing

If you can’t open a website in Safari on Mac

Safari troubleshooting on Mac

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

Jan 12, 2021 2:53 PM in response to Hodgeef

Hey Hodgeef,

So multiple websites won't load when using Safari or Chrome. The issue persists in a new user and when using safe mode. You removed the router and the Mac worked when directly connected to the internet. It seems to be a router issue.

There are some recommended settings you can use for the router.

If the different sites load sometimes but not other times, in multiple browsers, and the Mac was not directly connected, it may be wireless interference of the Wi-Fi network.

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

Cheers.

Jan 7, 2021 5:23 PM in response to mario49

Hi thanks for your suggestions unfortunately nothing has worked so far. Can open some sites on Chrome but cannot open in Safari. Some sites will not open in either and generally the message is site took too long to respond and timed out. Have reinstalled anti virus software Bitdefender and tried turning it off but makes no difference. Any other suggestions?

safari connection issues big sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.