Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

70,000 exclamation marks

Hi there,

I recently installed a new external SSD drive for my iTunes library (900GB). I copied the library over from the original hard drive (also external), closed iTunes and then reopened it while holding down the Option key and choosing the new library location. Of the 110,000 odd songs in my library over 70,000 (according to Doug’s Track CPR script) have an exclamation mark. They are all in the correct sequence of folders in the new library location. Surely having pointed iTunes at the new library it should know where to look for the “missing” tracks?

I can select ‘missing’ albums and reconnect the included songs using the Track CPR script but would obviously rather do something quicker - is there something I’m missing?

If I had a new computer would it have this same problem? Is there a Cache lurking somewhere that needs purging?

Thanks for any help.

Nathanael

Running Mojave 10.14.6 and iTunes 12.9.5.5

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 5:08 AM

Rename the drive to match the old volume name: iTunes Master (old) Backup

Use iTunes > Preferences > Advanced to change the media folder to /iTunes Master (old) Backup/iTunes/iTunes Music

Long term fix to make future moves more straightforward. Copy your iTunes Library files into /iTunes Master (old) Backup/iTunes, option-start-iTunes to access the library on this new path, close iTunes, rename iTunes Music as iTunes Media, relaunch iTunes and check it is all still working as it should. See Make a split library portable for details.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2021 5:08 AM in response to Nathanael Holt

Rename the drive to match the old volume name: iTunes Master (old) Backup

Use iTunes > Preferences > Advanced to change the media folder to /iTunes Master (old) Backup/iTunes/iTunes Music

Long term fix to make future moves more straightforward. Copy your iTunes Library files into /iTunes Master (old) Backup/iTunes, option-start-iTunes to access the library on this new path, close iTunes, rename iTunes Music as iTunes Media, relaunch iTunes and check it is all still working as it should. See Make a split library portable for details.

tt2

Jan 5, 2021 4:25 AM in response to Nathanael Holt

The "missing file" issue with exclamation marks happens if the file is no longer where iTunes or Music expects to find it. Possible causes are that you or some third party tool has moved, renamed or deleted the file, one of its parent folders, the drive it lives on has had a name change, or you've moved a non-portable library to a different path (see Make a split library portable for details). It is also possible that iTunes or Music have changed from expecting the files to be in the pre-iTunes 9 layout to post-iTunes 9 layout, or vice-versa, and so is looking in slightly the wrong place, or that you've been too aggressive when deleting duplicates at some point.

Select a track with an exclamation mark, use Cmd-I to get Song Info, then click No when asked to try to locate the track. Look on the file tab for the location the library thinks the file should be. Now take a look around your hard drives. Hopefully you can locate the track in question. If a section of your library has simply been moved, a folder renamed, or a drive label has changed, it should be possible to reverse the actions. If the difference between the two paths is an additional Music folder in one path then this is a layout issue. I can explain further if that is the case. If everything is where it is supposed to be try Repair security permissions for iTunes for Mac - Apple Community.

In some cases the library may be able to repair itself if you go through the same steps with Get Info, or when playing a track, but this time click Locate and browse to the lost track. It may then offer to attempt to automatically fix other broken links. Although it says something like "use the same location" I think it expects to find the tracks in the same artist & album layout they were in previously, with one systematic change to the path.

If you want me to try to provide specific advice please post back the following details:

1. The location of the media folder under iTunes|Music > Preferences > Advanced
  2. The location of a sample missing track shown under Song Info > File > Location that begins file://
  3. The true path to the file whose details you gave in 2

See also FixLinks - an AppleScript to repair broken links in Music - Apple Community.

tt2

Jan 5, 2021 4:48 AM in response to turingtest2

1. /Volumes/iTunes/iTunes/iTunes Music/iTunes Media
  2. file:///Volumes/iTunes Master (old) Backup/iTunes/iTunes Music/Neil Young & Crazy Horse/Ragged Glory/Over and Over.m4a
  3. /Volumes/iTunes/iTunes/iTunes Music/Neil Young & Crazy Horse/Ragged Glory/Over and Over.m4a

Thanks for responding. In the past I have seen that that 'Shall iTunes look for the other missing tracks in the same location?' message but it won't appear this time.

Nathanael

Jan 5, 2021 6:10 AM in response to turingtest2

That is better - re-running the Track CPR script shows 'only' 14,000 exclamation marks, but these are what I call false ones as if you click their Show Info they don't say 'Can't find/Locate?' and the Mark disappears as I close the Info box. Annoying but better than the 'really' lost ones.

"Copy your iTunes Library files into /iTunes Master (old) Backup/iTunes," - since my iTunes library files are already now 'in' /iTunes Master (old) Backup/iTunes but down another level, I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

Also, in response to the excellent "Make a split library portable" piece and with a nagging doubt ringing loudly in my head, I had a look inside my iTunes Music folder to discover an iTunes Media folder with a Music folder containing 1435 folders of artists! This Media folder contains the Apple Music, TV Shows etc.

Is there an easy way to clean this up by dragging the artists in this Music folder back out into the iTunes Music folder or will that duplicate them?

Thanks so much

Nathanael

Jan 5, 2021 6:30 AM in response to Nathanael Holt

The library files are iTunes Library.itl (possibly missing the .itl on a Mac library with old roots), iTunes Library Extras.itdb, iTunes Library Genius.itdb and sentinel, along with the Album Artwork folder. Given that renaming the volume has fixed things I suspect your library files are in ~/Music/iTunes where ~ is your home folder.

iTunes Music is the older name for the media folder, iTunes Media is the newer one. If you have content split across both then you should set the media folder as iTunes Media and consolidate the library. This should leave anything remaining in iTunes Music as redundant copies that can be removed. I'm assuming at this stage you have enough space to consolidate safely.

Try FixLinks to repair the content that is still showing as missing for reasons. It would be interesting to compare the locations given in Song Info > File > Location and Finder to see if there is any difference. E.g. minor differences in case, or if they really are the same, in which case why the false positive?

tt2

Jan 7, 2021 5:56 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks again for all this.

Sadly I have done something to bring back the exclamation marks. I decided to Consolidate library so renamed iTunes Music to iTunes Media and named the old iTunes Media iTunes1 and then chose Consolidate Library. Now all my exclamation marks are back .... I have found my Library files inside my iTunes library amongst the artist beginning 'I'.

Sigh - should I try to revert? Or plough on with a brilliant suggestion you'll offer (fingers crossed). Track CPR says 80,000!

Nathanael

70,000 exclamation marks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.