Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes disorganizing 1/2 my library upon transfer

1/2 my tunes library shows up as "unknown artist"

when transferring to new mac. I read all articles and backed up with both

"keep my itunes library organized" checked and also tried it

without. Even copied the library.itl file over and every time itune purposely disorganizes

my library, which were all legally purchased cds I manually imported to itunes

only one month ago! This is unacceptable. I've dealt with this many times in a

decade, even reconstituted and re-imported every cd in the past, this is just

not fair to paying customers! I want my material as is on my new refurbished $3000

mac!  Copying from a hard drive didn’t work nor did migration assistant.

How hard is it to keep files in their labeled folders?!!!!

For the love of god stop doing this to your customers AND

PLEASE HELP

mojave 10.14.6

itunes 12.9.5.5

Mac Pro

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 5:50 PM

OK FOLK HERE IS THE ANSWER NO ONE POSTED!!!!!!!!!

1. GO TO OLD ITUNES FOLDER IN MACINTOSH HD>USERS>(YOUR USER)>MUSIC>ITUNES... THEN COPY ALL .itdb & .xml files to external drive.
  2. then continue to MACINTOSH HD>USERS>(YOUR USER)>MUSIC>ITUNES>ITUNES MEDIA>MUSIC copy entire music folder TO EXTERNAL DRIVE.
  3. OPEN NEW ITUNES UNCLICK "KEEP MY ITUNES LIBRARY ORGANIZED" IN PREFERENCES, COS IT WILL SCREW YOU UP.
  4. QUIT ITUNES.
  5. MOUNT ETERNAL DRIVE TO NEW COMPUTER.. DO NOT LAUNCH ITUNES YET!
  6. ERASE ALL .itdb & .xml files in MACINTOSH HD>USERS>(YOUR USER)>MUSIC>ITUNES and replace with the copied files from step 3
  7. copy entire music folder to MACINTOSH HD>USERS>(YOUR USER)>MUSIC>ITUNES>ITUNES MEDIA>MUSIC.
  8. then open itunes and presto! All songs and albums will be labeled and organized EXACTLY AS THEY WERE ON PREVIOUS MAC SYSTEM!!!

YOUR WELCOME

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2021 5:50 PM in response to turingtest2

OK FOLK HERE IS THE ANSWER NO ONE POSTED!!!!!!!!!

1. GO TO OLD ITUNES FOLDER IN MACINTOSH HD>USERS>(YOUR USER)>MUSIC>ITUNES... THEN COPY ALL .itdb & .xml files to external drive.
  2. then continue to MACINTOSH HD>USERS>(YOUR USER)>MUSIC>ITUNES>ITUNES MEDIA>MUSIC copy entire music folder TO EXTERNAL DRIVE.
  3. OPEN NEW ITUNES UNCLICK "KEEP MY ITUNES LIBRARY ORGANIZED" IN PREFERENCES, COS IT WILL SCREW YOU UP.
  4. QUIT ITUNES.
  5. MOUNT ETERNAL DRIVE TO NEW COMPUTER.. DO NOT LAUNCH ITUNES YET!
  6. ERASE ALL .itdb & .xml files in MACINTOSH HD>USERS>(YOUR USER)>MUSIC>ITUNES and replace with the copied files from step 3
  7. copy entire music folder to MACINTOSH HD>USERS>(YOUR USER)>MUSIC>ITUNES>ITUNES MEDIA>MUSIC.
  8. then open itunes and presto! All songs and albums will be labeled and organized EXACTLY AS THEY WERE ON PREVIOUS MAC SYSTEM!!!

YOUR WELCOME

itunes disorganizing 1/2 my library upon transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.