Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues importing an itunes library from High Sierra into a new Apple Music library (Big Sur)

I imported my long time itunes library from time machine onto a new m1 macbookair running Big Sur, and am finding that many of the files that previously worked fine are simply not playing - not only in Apple Music, but even in the finder. I've gone through the music folder and am unable to play them in preview and when I try to open one of the mp3s in quicktime i get a message saying that I "don't have permission to open the document." This is not a file I downloaded through iTunes, I ripped it from a cd. I've never had an issue playing it before. I tried using get info and changing permissions and it lets me change everyone to read and write but that doesn't make any difference. Any ideas how I can get it to work? It seems to be a random assortment of albums from my itunes library that don't work, and things that were added to it longer ago. Thanks all!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 3:51 PM

Okay so I figured it out and would delete this if I could figure out how lol.

I just had to get info on the entire library, create a new owner, make everything in the folder follow suit and voila.

Thanks me.

Similar questions

1 reply

Issues importing an itunes library from High Sierra into a new Apple Music library (Big Sur)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.