Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import High Sierra iTunes Library file into Monterey Music

After reading a lot of threads on the subject...

I have an iTunes Library created in OS10.13.6 iTunes that I've copied over to my new OS12.5.1Mac.

This is the folder structure:

- Music

-- iTunes

---- iTunes Library (library file)

---- iTunes Music (90gb folder of music files)

-- Music

I add .itl extension to the library file, alt+click on Music app and select the library file.

Music opens and just shows spinner with 'Loading...'

Even after leaving it running for a few hours nothing happens.

Has anyone managed to do this? Anything else I can try?

Really don't want to have to manually import the files, lose my playlists or lose my 'date added' data.

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 9:48 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 5, 2022 10:24 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi, thanks for your response.

I did what you said: on my old computer I changed the name of library file and media folder. When I rebooted the old computer and made changes it updated the iTunes Library.itl file fine.

I copied that file to my new computer, and also renamed the media folder that I had previously copied over.

But when I alt+click to load it in I still get the never ending loading text.

I wasn't sure about your last sentence but I tried moving the iTunes Media folder to the desktop and then opening the iTunes Library.itl file in Music. Again with the same result.

I also tried 'Rearrange files in the folder' on my old computer so the file structure matches the right hand side of this image (from Make a split library portable - Apple Community) and copied the Media folder and library file over again. But now when I alt click and open I don't even get the loading... text.

btw the iTunes version on my old mac is 12.8.3.1

If anyone has anything else I could try I would really appreciate it.

Sep 5, 2022 12:03 PM in response to Uumellmahaye2

Back in High Sierra use iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > Share iTunes Library XML with other applications. Copy this file over to the new computer and in an empty Music library try using File > Library > Import Playlist and then open the XML file. Note for this import to work the paths to the music files need to match on both computers, or you need to edit the XML file to reflect the new locations.

tt2

Sep 2, 2022 10:00 AM in response to Uumellmahaye2

Hi,

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community for some general advice.

Your library shows signs of having been original created in iTunes 8 or earlier. Back on High Sierra I suggest doing two things. First fix the name of the library file there, changing it to iTunes Library.itl. Second with iTunes closed rename the media folder from iTunes Music to iTunes Media, then launch iTunes and check that it has automatically adjusted to the change. You can reverse these steps if needed. Getting your library into a more conventional shape may help with the transition.

Monterey should be able to convert your .itl file when you use the option-start-Music method to open the library. That said there have been a number of reports of this process stalling on Monterey. There are two possible options here. One is to import an iTunes (Music) Library.xml file into an empty library, but that will rewrite your date added information. The other thing you might try is convert the .itl to .musiclibrary form when the iTunes Media folder isn't copied over to the new computer, then copy that over afterwards.

tt2

Import High Sierra iTunes Library file into Monterey Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.