Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to convert Library.xml to Music app library?

My iTunes Library (Library.xml and all the managed folders) exists on a NAS system, and has been working well with both my old MacBook Pro and iMac. I just purchased a brand new MacBook Pro, updated to Catalina, and launched the Music App.

Unsurprisingly, it did not "upgrade" my existing iTunes library, as none was found locally.

Internet searching for this issue has yielded some helpful tips (opt-click Music app, select Choose Library, but it seems to only be accepting of the new .musiclibrary format, not my "legacy" Library.xml file) but no results.

Please share if you've run into this issue, or have figured out a solution to forklifting the old XML based iTunes library into Music. I don't mind the change, but losing all my ratings and playlists is also not an option. Thank you in advance for any/all help!

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 10:22 AM

The XML file is for third party support. The active iTunes library would normally have been called iTunes Library.itl though in some legacy systems the .itl extension might be omitted. You can hold down option while starting Music (or TV) and then use the Choose Library option to access an existing .itl file. You will be prompted for the path to store a new music (or TV) library converted from the old one. Alternatively you can use File > Library > Import Playlist... to import an XML file, but that will lose date added information that would be preserved by working with the .itl file. Either method should bring in ratings and playlists.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2019 10:22 AM in response to afpjr0

The XML file is for third party support. The active iTunes library would normally have been called iTunes Library.itl though in some legacy systems the .itl extension might be omitted. You can hold down option while starting Music (or TV) and then use the Choose Library option to access an existing .itl file. You will be prompted for the path to store a new music (or TV) library converted from the old one. Alternatively you can use File > Library > Import Playlist... to import an XML file, but that will lose date added information that would be preserved by working with the .itl file. Either method should bring in ratings and playlists.

tt2

How to convert Library.xml to Music app library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.