Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get Big Sur's Music.app to import iTunes' library?

I just upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur. Music is now trying to play my entire library from the cloud.

Supposedly I can import my old iTunes library by holding down option while opening Music and selecting the .itl file, but when I do this, everything in the old iTunes directory is ghosted out.

How can I fix this? Was the Catalina Music app the only one that could import an .itl file? This sucks. Is there anywhere I can get a copy of the Catalina Music.app to perform this import?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 9:15 PM

I rebooted to let Little Snitch finish its upgrade and now the Big Sur Music app is letting me click on the old Itunes Library.itl file. How strange. Well, it's working now. Though it seems to have lost a ton of album artwork or something even though I've got it all sitting right there on the disc? Ugh.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2021 9:15 PM in response to Margaret Trauth

I rebooted to let Little Snitch finish its upgrade and now the Big Sur Music app is letting me click on the old Itunes Library.itl file. How strange. Well, it's working now. Though it seems to have lost a ton of album artwork or something even though I've got it all sitting right there on the disc? Ugh.

How to get Big Sur's Music.app to import iTunes' library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.