Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extend an iMac 5K 27" 2017 with an eGPU

Apple offers the Blackmagic eGPU equipped with a Radeon 580 Pro, which is the same card already installed in my iMac 27" 5K 2017. So my first question is: does this eGPU improve the graphic performance of my iMac if it uses the same card? Secondly, if this is not the case, then which graphic card should I consider to get the highest performance boost? On their support page they suggest several ones which can be used with the (rather cheap) Razor Core X housing. BTW I’m still on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. and don’t plan to upgrade in the near future, so the cards mentioned at the end of the support page don’t qualify. Any input is most welcome!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 11:04 AM

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the reply! You're right, first thing is to find out which applications on my Mac do support eGPU's. If none does, then an eGPU is a waste of money of course. The main application I intended to use the eGPU for is Blender, but it seems that Blender does not support an eGPU on a Mac. I'm also using the Adobe CC suite and that software is supposed to support an eGPU, but I read on the internet that there are many issues. Because of all this uncertainty I started looking into buying a new computer, preferably a Mac Pro. But I decided to postpone the purchase , until more is known when and which models Apple will ship with the new M1 chip.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2021 11:04 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the reply! You're right, first thing is to find out which applications on my Mac do support eGPU's. If none does, then an eGPU is a waste of money of course. The main application I intended to use the eGPU for is Blender, but it seems that Blender does not support an eGPU on a Mac. I'm also using the Adobe CC suite and that software is supposed to support an eGPU, but I read on the internet that there are many issues. Because of all this uncertainty I started looking into buying a new computer, preferably a Mac Pro. But I decided to postpone the purchase , until more is known when and which models Apple will ship with the new M1 chip.

Jan 7, 2021 9:47 AM in response to axfield

Hey axfield,

We see you have questions about using an eGPU with your iMac. We'd be glad to help go over this together. It's important to evaluate the software that you are using to see if it supports multiple GPUs. This would be the best way to determine if an eGPU would be a good fit for your needs. Contact your software developer for more information.

Since you want to use macOS Mojave, you may have limited options for eGPU and should consult the page you linked to us.

We hope this helps.

Cheers.

Extend an iMac 5K 27" 2017 with an eGPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.