Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview App issues (Big Sur)

Hi everyone,

I used to have no troubles to view PDFs in the Preview app. However, after updating to Big Sur a couple of days ago, the Preview app has since then become frozen every time I try and merge individual PDFs into one (by selecting and adding them to the thumbnail on the right) – leaving me no other option but to force close the app. Has this happened to anyone else?

Do you have any recommendation? Many thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 11:59 AM

Greetings, Jonasmatthias.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having some difficulties with editing PDF files in Preview. We can understand why you’d want to get to the bottom of this. 

First, try out the troubleshooting steps listed here: If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac

After that, start in Safe Mode and test to see if the issue continues: Start up your Mac in safe mode 

If so, reset your SMC and NVRAM: 

How to reset the SMC of your Mac 

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Don’t hesitate to reach back out if the issue continues. Let us know if you have performance issues with any other apps. Also, include any error messages you see. 

All the best. 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2021 11:59 AM in response to Jonasmatthias

Greetings, Jonasmatthias.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having some difficulties with editing PDF files in Preview. We can understand why you’d want to get to the bottom of this. 

First, try out the troubleshooting steps listed here: If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac

After that, start in Safe Mode and test to see if the issue continues: Start up your Mac in safe mode 

If so, reset your SMC and NVRAM: 

How to reset the SMC of your Mac 

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Don’t hesitate to reach back out if the issue continues. Let us know if you have performance issues with any other apps. Also, include any error messages you see. 

All the best. 

Preview App issues (Big Sur)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.