Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview crash (macOS Big Sur 11.3.1)

Hello,

Following the latest update (macOS Big Sur 11.3.1) my MacBook Pro 13' (2016) is having serious problems with the Preview program when it comes to reading and editing pdfs.

The program constantly freezes, has problems highlighting, adding notes and I am obliged to do "force close".

If, however, I switch users and open THE SAME PDFs and try to edit them, Preview does not freeze.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem and make Preview work again on my user?

Please help me, I work mainly with Preview.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 19, 2021 12:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 2:35 AM

Good trouble shooting. Suggest restarting the computer in Safe Mode and log into the problematic Account where the Preview is crashing. It will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and Fonts. So it will load slowly - normal. Once logged in - run it this mode foe 15 - 20 minutes and Test Preview - does it crash or work normally ?

We use Safe mode to isolate Third Party software / extensions and fonts from loading and to see if the issue is system wide or user Account. The latter, you have already identified as possible User Account.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2021 2:35 AM in response to Marinella_

Good trouble shooting. Suggest restarting the computer in Safe Mode and log into the problematic Account where the Preview is crashing. It will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and Fonts. So it will load slowly - normal. Once logged in - run it this mode foe 15 - 20 minutes and Test Preview - does it crash or work normally ?

We use Safe mode to isolate Third Party software / extensions and fonts from loading and to see if the issue is system wide or user Account. The latter, you have already identified as possible User Account.

May 19, 2021 3:43 AM in response to Marinella_

Agree with @Luis S on the idea of Etrececk. Trusted Developer and Respected Contributor to these Forums. Free to use or paid from Added Features. Run it with Full Disk Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disk Access The Generated Report will Not Reveal any Personal Information and can be Copy and Paste as reply using the Additional Text Icon 3rd to last Icon below.

Preview crash (macOS Big Sur 11.3.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.