Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CELLULAR MODEM CAUSES BATTERY DRAIN / iPhone 12 Battery

It is the cellular modem that causes the ongoing and severe (standby) battery drain and nothing much of something else.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.3, Modem FW 1.31.03-5, one physical SIM-card only

Remove physical SIM card and/or disable the eSIM, put your device into airplane mode.

*Airplane mode alone doesn't quite do it

The drain should stop instantly and depending on what else you do on your device, the battery graph will start to even out as soon as you've done this.

The only thing unclear right now is wether this can/will be fixed with an iOS update, a carrier update, a modem firmware update or wether this is actually a hardware issue with the modem itself (I do doubt that, but it can't be ruled out)

What do you think?

I know, this topic gets boring but I am above all very curious, like to get to the bottom of things and figure it out.

We should once and for all, at least if we cannot stop our devices from draining otherwise, know what causes the drain so we can stop looking for an explanation and hope that it soon will be fixed via an update of some sort.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 1:12 PM

That is an interesting and important observation. But for me, the only time I really had a drain of only a couple percent over night was when I took out the SIM card. Airplane mode helps but doesn't really do much either. I don't care wether its draining 5 percent or 15 or 30 precent. This new device is not supposed to drain so much over an 8 hours period of standby. Period.

I have 3 out of 4 cellular bars pretty much all day and get about 80Mbit's down on LTE in the house. So there is no telling me that poor reception is causing the drain in my device. In your case perhaps having only 1 or 2 bars of signal could be contributing to the drain.

However, I am 99% certain, and mostly have been, that all this is an iOS bug or modem bug for that matter where some sort of process is not being put into standby properly but keeps running constantly. The battery drain curve shows it clearly. There is constant steady drainage like as if there is a load on the CPU/battery continuously. And it's not a curve that suggests that something is coming on and draining battery and stopping again. It is some sort of low power process that uses an average of 2% battery power per hour which also runs while you are using the phone. But if you are using it, it might drain around 10% per hour (of course depending on what you actually do) and this is where most people are oblivious to the drain (especially those that charge it every night) because who cares or notices wether the phone drains 10% or 12% in an hour while using it, right!?

But losing on average 18% over night while doing nothing, is kinda a big deal.

And I hate the suggestion that I simply put my phone on a charger every evening and don't worry about it. I don't want to do that. I want to put my phone down in the evening and wake up to close to the percentage that I had when I put it down. I don't want to think about wether I need to plug my phone in before I go to sleep. I just want to glance at the battery and know that when it shows 70% and I was able to go through the entire day, I can go through the entire next day without worrying to run out. (I should mention at this point that I don't use my phone all that much.)

I don't want to do the math in the evening that if I have 70% in the evening, calculating and accounting for at least 20% loss over night, that leaves me with 50% the next morning and contemplating weather that gets me through the day and wether to plug it in now.

My 2018 12,9 iPad Pro has magnificent battery life and it is running 14.3 too (iPad OS, but still) and I simply don't have to worry about it. That's the Apple user experience that people are paying for and what they should want and deserve. And finding justification and coming up with excuses as to why this 1300€ device just can't hold a charge is ridiculous. It makes me so mad, I can't even...

I am a passionate apple user since many years and I am still, but this just makes me so angry.

Are they even testing the devices and updates they release? And this iOS beta testing seems like an utter joke. Everyone can download and become a tester and still people complain about buggy software even though they are running a beta.

And there is minor and major updates being pushed out, which add fancy features that get hyped and praised (Fitness+, ProRaw, AirPods Max Support...) and they are completely forgetting about one thing. Bug fixes that actually solve problems in the software that millions of people use every single day.

Maybe the bug is still there to completely shred older devices and force people to charge so frequently which further degrades the battery, so people would finally give in and upgrade from their trusty 6S and get a new phone and to discover that even the new phone has the same problem. Big LOL. Ask me how I know

Similar questions

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2021 1:12 PM in response to grigoris131

That is an interesting and important observation. But for me, the only time I really had a drain of only a couple percent over night was when I took out the SIM card. Airplane mode helps but doesn't really do much either. I don't care wether its draining 5 percent or 15 or 30 precent. This new device is not supposed to drain so much over an 8 hours period of standby. Period.

I have 3 out of 4 cellular bars pretty much all day and get about 80Mbit's down on LTE in the house. So there is no telling me that poor reception is causing the drain in my device. In your case perhaps having only 1 or 2 bars of signal could be contributing to the drain.

However, I am 99% certain, and mostly have been, that all this is an iOS bug or modem bug for that matter where some sort of process is not being put into standby properly but keeps running constantly. The battery drain curve shows it clearly. There is constant steady drainage like as if there is a load on the CPU/battery continuously. And it's not a curve that suggests that something is coming on and draining battery and stopping again. It is some sort of low power process that uses an average of 2% battery power per hour which also runs while you are using the phone. But if you are using it, it might drain around 10% per hour (of course depending on what you actually do) and this is where most people are oblivious to the drain (especially those that charge it every night) because who cares or notices wether the phone drains 10% or 12% in an hour while using it, right!?

But losing on average 18% over night while doing nothing, is kinda a big deal.

And I hate the suggestion that I simply put my phone on a charger every evening and don't worry about it. I don't want to do that. I want to put my phone down in the evening and wake up to close to the percentage that I had when I put it down. I don't want to think about wether I need to plug my phone in before I go to sleep. I just want to glance at the battery and know that when it shows 70% and I was able to go through the entire day, I can go through the entire next day without worrying to run out. (I should mention at this point that I don't use my phone all that much.)

I don't want to do the math in the evening that if I have 70% in the evening, calculating and accounting for at least 20% loss over night, that leaves me with 50% the next morning and contemplating weather that gets me through the day and wether to plug it in now.

My 2018 12,9 iPad Pro has magnificent battery life and it is running 14.3 too (iPad OS, but still) and I simply don't have to worry about it. That's the Apple user experience that people are paying for and what they should want and deserve. And finding justification and coming up with excuses as to why this 1300€ device just can't hold a charge is ridiculous. It makes me so mad, I can't even...

I am a passionate apple user since many years and I am still, but this just makes me so angry.

Are they even testing the devices and updates they release? And this iOS beta testing seems like an utter joke. Everyone can download and become a tester and still people complain about buggy software even though they are running a beta.

And there is minor and major updates being pushed out, which add fancy features that get hyped and praised (Fitness+, ProRaw, AirPods Max Support...) and they are completely forgetting about one thing. Bug fixes that actually solve problems in the software that millions of people use every single day.

Maybe the bug is still there to completely shred older devices and force people to charge so frequently which further degrades the battery, so people would finally give in and upgrade from their trusty 6S and get a new phone and to discover that even the new phone has the same problem. Big LOL. Ask me how I know

Jan 5, 2021 11:27 AM in response to Elliemch

5% overnight is perfectly normal. The phone is supposed to last about 10 days on standby, if it isn’t used for anything. That works out to 10% per day, or about 5% overnight.

If you leave it on, and not in Airplane mode, there are things constantly going on with it, including app data updates (weather, stocks, calendars, etc), incoming email and texts, syncing iCloud, indexing content. And, if it’s not plugged in then Wi-Fi is off, so all of those updates will use cellular data, which requires a lot of energy. Thus, 20% overnight is not unreasonable either.

But what you should be doing is charging it overnight, every night, with Optimized Charging enabled. Reasons:

• Optimized Charging stops charging at 80%, but then continues to use power from the mains to power the phone, thus reducing how often you have to charge the battery.
  • Optimized Charging resumes charging to reach 100% when you get up in the morning (it monitors your usage pattern to determine this).
  • If you turn on iCloud backups the phone will automatically back up overnight, so you can never lose more than one day’s worth of updates
  • Wi-Fi will stay on, so all of the “housekeeping” updates that happen overnight will use Wi-Fi instead of cellular data.

Jan 5, 2021 9:10 AM in response to user0197

Cellular connections are the heaviest user of energy on any phone. And they frequently connect to the network whether you are using the phone or not. Signal strength matters a lot; for example, a 1 bar signal uses 10 times as much energy as a 5 bar signal, and if you are not in Airplane Mode but not in range of a network your phone will use huge amounts of energy trying to reconnect. 5G connections use more energy that 4G/LTE connections, and the range for 5G is shorter, so if you are moving around your phone will reconnect more frequently than they will with LTE. Which may or may not explain the level of the observed battery drain you are seeing, but at least it is something to be aware of.

Jan 24, 2021 2:33 PM in response to user0197

Hi there.

I'm from Russia and have the same problem with 12 mini battery. Every night its like 20-25% drain for about 6 hours stanby. WiFi ON, Bluetooth ON(no connections)I start Google and nothing find on russian websites, then i go to eng resources and found that discussion. Tonight i want to test with airplane ON.

My carrier is Megafon. 5G is unavailable in russia and iphone also haven't 5G settings in menu. U can see my graph between 3AM and 9AM, no activity and battery drain. Looks like my iphone 7 with 76% battery capacity.

Jan 5, 2021 9:22 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

First of all, thanks for your reply.

Yes I am aware of that. I am home and connected to Wi-Fi virtually all the time (like pretty much everybody these days). But only having the phone sitting on a desk with the SIM card installed, Cellular Data on/off doesn't matter, with a signal strength of 4 bars and airplane mode on/off doesn't matter much either, the battery drains significantly without me touching the thing. Dammit, I sound like a broken record.

But as soon as I pull the SIM and enable airplane mode (which in my head pauses most processes the modem does), after a couple hours and then checking, I lost nothing or maybe 1%.

I do get that connecting to a cell tower, searching for signal and stuff like that does consume power but I think it shouldn't consume as much as it does.

Jan 5, 2021 9:30 AM in response to user0197

And basically all I am trying to do (and a lot of people here asking and contributing to the Battery drain topic) is trying to isolate what is causing the issue. And I cannot believe that so many people have poor cell connection that makes their iPhones consume so much power.

I am familiar with the battery drain when I am in a really low reception area (there is a 2km stretch when I am on the train where there is no signal). Experience made me enable airplane mode every time I entered that zone but sometimes when I forgot, I went in with let's say 50% and 3 minutes later had only 40% left, only because the reception gets less and less until its completely gone and the phone tries to stay connected until I just can't anymore, I know that is when the excessive drain happens.

Jan 5, 2021 9:33 AM in response to user0197

I understand, and I think it’s possible that there is a problem in the modem firmware. Note that modem firmware is different for different carriers. It would be useful to see if the problem is with a specific carrier or carriers, or all carriers. And specific phones, or all phones. While I have seen some complaints about battery issues with iPhone 12 series, there are always a baseline of reports of battery issues with any model phone and any version of iOS. I haven’t seen enough for the iPhone 12 yet to determine if the problem is worse with the 12 or not.

Jan 5, 2021 9:46 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Exactly. That's why I thought it would be a good idea to ask people where they are located and on what carrier they are. As far as I know, it is mainly 12 users that suffer from the bizarre drain. The overnight drain of 20% or more over the course of 8 hours is present durning the day as well, but stretched over the entire day and mixed in with the actual usage, so a lot of people, especially everybody who charges their devices overnight might not even be aware of this because during the day, those 20 percent go relatively unnoticed and people only think 'Hmmm. This battery life is really not what I expected from a new device' and may be complaining about overall poor battery life and hack around about the small fact that the 12's battery has a 400? mAh smaller battery compared to the 11's. Whereas it is actually a bug (or something else) that kills 20%+ just eating away battery in the background regardless, no matter if you are using your phone or not, that doesn't show up in the battery usage view.

Jan 5, 2021 11:16 AM in response to user0197

Hello, wanted to reply as well as I am still having issues with my battery- iphone 12 mini here.

So over the past month that I actually have my new iphone i turned off so many different stuff that people said helps with battery, but overall the only things that actually changed my battery drain from 20+% per night to about 5% (which still is not good enough for me tbh) is turning airplane mode on, or changing my connection from LTE to 3G.

I am connected with Epic in Cyprus, for reference, but i didnt encounter any of these issues with my 5-year old iphone 7 while i was connected with the same carrier. My old iphone 7’s battery is compromised and needed changing a long time ago and it still lasts longer throughout the night (on standby) with cellular data off, airplane mode on, wifi on. Keep in mind that on my iphone 7 i have more supposedly “battery draining” features ENABLEd, whereas on my new iphone 12 mini I have those turned off to salvage the situation.

hoping someone, somewhere, sometime soon finds out something cause I’m at a loss and I’m very unhappy - as I am sure any of you guys experiencing this issue are sharing my frustration.

thanks for creating the thread.

Jan 5, 2021 12:45 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

For everyone reading Lawrence Finch's, you also have to make sure that Significant Locations and System Customization are on in order for optimized battery charging to work. It also will take a couple days or more to fully set up, so the phone knows when you get up etc.

I find it baffling that Apple does not fully explain it right there in the menu. The switch in the battery menu might be on, people think they have the feature enabled whereas they are very likely have gone into the location services at some point and disabled most things there because they wanted to save battery life. If one doesn't look at the graph, one has no idea that the optimized charging does in fact not work at all with does do toggles disabled. Why is the optimized battery charging toggle not greyed out and telling you that those location service options have to be enabled in order for it work.

Most people spend far less time thinking or testing these things compared to us 'nerds' ;)

Normal people look at a video 'how to save battery on an iPhone' where it says, 'toggle on optimized battery charging' and in the next step to disable location services entirely.

Jan 5, 2021 1:00 PM in response to Elliemch

Maybe this is primarily an Europe problem?! Could it be????

I turned off so much as well, that it makes me wonder at which point a smartphone becomes a rather dumbphone hahaha.

I could live with 5% but anything beyond is just too much. + I am always thinking longterm. If the battery life is this bad right from the start > I have to charge more often overall > the battery health goes to sh*t way sooner > have to charge more often > battery gets worse and worse.

I have an 2018 iPad Pro 12,9inch. I mean, yeah, battery size wise not comparable but yet it has to power a large screen and whatnot, but ****. I charge this thing like once a week (2x max) and its just unreal. Since the battery life is so good > needs charging less often > prolongs battery life and health > good battery life > charge less often and around the cycle it goes.

Tbh, this is the things that makes me angry about the iPhone. I don't wanna ruin the battery in just one year just because some **** iOS and modem bug sucks the juice out of it everyday. I don't even use it all that much and the fact that it just runs empty without me doing anything makes me a little mad.

Try pulling the sim for just one night, put it in airplane mode, you can keep wifi on and see by how much it goes down.

Jan 5, 2021 1:02 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write all of the above, the 5% point you made actually makes complete sense now.

however, considering what you said about what the phone does on its own overnight, after the very first couple of nights that i noticed this huge drain i turned a lot of things off. I have disabled any options that i see that update stuff with cellular data, I have background app refresh off, i even turned my icloud sync and back up off cause i was very worried that this drain will eventually affect my battery’s health. In fact, like a complete idiot, because i’ve disabled the icloud back up I do a manual backup on my laptop just to be safe until i find a solution (please dont make fun of me😅).

the reason i am concerned is I never encountered any issues with my iphone 7, and I didnt even play around with any settings cause there was no need for me messing anything up. Which is also why i’m kind of stumped on what i’m supposed to do and i find it very hard to wrap my head around just accepting 20%+ battery drain per night as normal.

As i said, cellular data is disabled for some things I could find, i anyways have it turned off while at home, only wifi is on in terms of connectivity. Please do correct me if im wrong, but what happens in the long run if my battery keeps draining randomly every night but for my convenience and of course the benefits you mentioned, it keeps charging while something is draining the battery? I dont know if I’m explaining my concern correctly...

apologies for the long post and if i dont make any sense, thanks in advance for anything you have to offer!

Jan 5, 2021 1:20 PM in response to Elliemch

The absolute best thing you can do to preserve the battery is to charge the phone overnight. The smart charger in the phone will stop charging when the phone reaches 100% (or 80% if Optimize Charging is on), then power the phone with the external source. Once it is charged the battery is no longer powering the phone; instead the external power source is. The longevity of the battery is primarily a function of how often it is charged. Every time it is charged it loses a little bit of its life. More specifically, it is rated to remain above 80% capacity for 500 full charge cycles (0-100%, or a combination that adds up to 100% such as 50% to 100% twice or 40% to 60% 5 times). Converting to real numbers it will lose about 1% of capacity for every 25 full charge cycles. So the best plan is to reduce how often you charge it, and one way to do that is to use mains power whenever possible rather than using battery power, then recharging it.

Letting it run on battery power overnight will shorten the useful life of the battery, regardless of whether it is draining 5% or 20%.

CELLULAR MODEM CAUSES BATTERY DRAIN / iPhone 12 Battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.