Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What’s the reason behind my privacy being invaded? I

Why do I have to have my microphone and camera to be accessed and used??? What is the point in that?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 6:46 PM

This is a new feature in iOS 14. These indicators are tools that should allow you to better protect your privacy.

About the orange and green indicators in your iPhone status bar - Apple Support

I'm sure you've noticed before when you download an app that require the use of your microphone and/or camera (ie Zoom for meetings), the first time you open the app it will ask you permission to access your microphone and camera right?

So.... how do you know when it's actually using your microphone or camera? That is the privacy risk.. because the answer is you didn't know

Apple added indicators so you have an easy way of knowing. When you see these indicators, you should be able to open Control Center and see what's using these components.

Access and customize Control Center on your iPhone and iPod touch - Apple Support

So the take-away here.. is that you should not be alarmed if you see the orange dot when you are talking on the phone. You should not be alarmed if you see the orange and green dots when you are on a Zoom or FaceTime call. Likewise, if you are talking to Siri or recording a voice memo.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2021 6:46 PM in response to Erika2015

This is a new feature in iOS 14. These indicators are tools that should allow you to better protect your privacy.

About the orange and green indicators in your iPhone status bar - Apple Support

I'm sure you've noticed before when you download an app that require the use of your microphone and/or camera (ie Zoom for meetings), the first time you open the app it will ask you permission to access your microphone and camera right?

So.... how do you know when it's actually using your microphone or camera? That is the privacy risk.. because the answer is you didn't know

Apple added indicators so you have an easy way of knowing. When you see these indicators, you should be able to open Control Center and see what's using these components.

Access and customize Control Center on your iPhone and iPod touch - Apple Support

So the take-away here.. is that you should not be alarmed if you see the orange dot when you are talking on the phone. You should not be alarmed if you see the orange and green dots when you are on a Zoom or FaceTime call. Likewise, if you are talking to Siri or recording a voice memo.

What’s the reason behind my privacy being invaded? I

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.