Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I pad size change

I had purchased an Apple I pad pro, about 2016, 2nd generation. On the box is printed i pad pro 12.9 inch wi fi, I just purchased in 2020 another I pad pro, 12.9 . The problem is the first one is about 13.9 inches and the second one is 12.9 inches but both boxes say 12.9. Why is their a difference in size that is nowhere stated

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 1:45 AM

There is no reason for stating why there are differences between a 2020 iPad Pro and one from 4-5 years, ago!

It should be pretty obvious why.

The design of the iPad Pro and the new 2020 iPad Air 4 has changed.

The newer 2018/2020 iPad Pros are smaller overall because they have much smaller/thinner outer bezels.

The older iPad Pro models from 2015-2017 measure overall 14.2 inches on the diagonal with a 12.9 inch screen, also measuresd on the diagonal

This is because the outer bezels of these older iPad Pro models are much thicker/wider and the needed room wqs to incorporate the older Home Button/Touch ID sensor.

The newer 2018/2020 models have smaller thinner outer bezels, but the diagonal 12.9 inch active screen size area is the exact same, but the overall diagonal size of the iPad is smaller now due to smaller, thinner bezels.

Also, the new iPad Pro models have NO Home Button, any longer!

New iPad Pro models use FaceID and NO LONGER use finger, Touch ID/Home button that was on older iPad models.

If you still have both the older and newer iPad Pro models, it should be obvious the difference is size and feature differences.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 1:45 AM in response to 1972Skip

There is no reason for stating why there are differences between a 2020 iPad Pro and one from 4-5 years, ago!

It should be pretty obvious why.

The design of the iPad Pro and the new 2020 iPad Air 4 has changed.

The newer 2018/2020 iPad Pros are smaller overall because they have much smaller/thinner outer bezels.

The older iPad Pro models from 2015-2017 measure overall 14.2 inches on the diagonal with a 12.9 inch screen, also measuresd on the diagonal

This is because the outer bezels of these older iPad Pro models are much thicker/wider and the needed room wqs to incorporate the older Home Button/Touch ID sensor.

The newer 2018/2020 models have smaller thinner outer bezels, but the diagonal 12.9 inch active screen size area is the exact same, but the overall diagonal size of the iPad is smaller now due to smaller, thinner bezels.

Also, the new iPad Pro models have NO Home Button, any longer!

New iPad Pro models use FaceID and NO LONGER use finger, Touch ID/Home button that was on older iPad models.

If you still have both the older and newer iPad Pro models, it should be obvious the difference is size and feature differences.

I pad size change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.