Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Files Lost - Help Recover

Hello all!

A couple of months ago, right after I updated to Big Sur, I lost ALL my iCloud files. I have no idea how it happened. It was like someone selected all of my Desktop, pressed delete and then emptied the trash.

I tried to recover by going to the recovery mode and was able to get some files back, but 95% of them are gone. I tried to go into Time Machine but I don't get an option to view the history of my Mac, like it would in different displays.

I would like help with, if possible, to go back in time in my machine and recover the files. It was so much work and I cannot believe things are just gone. Please help. There is no Apple Store where I live (Vietnam) so I need help from someone, anyone.

Thank you,

Ceci

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 10:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 12:18 AM

ceci_gg Said:

"iCloud Files Lost - Help Recover[...]

———-

So, they just disappeared?

A Few Thoughts on Recovering these:

• Try Opening Recent Files:

Open an application that they were being used with - see if you can:

1. Go to: File menu
  2. Select: Open Recent...
  3. Does Anything Pop Up?

• Check Trash:

See if these items reside in Trash. Trash items need to be moved out of trash in order to open them.

• Any Other Users?:

See if there are any other users on your computer. Perhaps they are on the other user

• Use a Backup:

If you have any Time Machine Backups, then see If you can transfer these over using Migration Assistant.

• Go Here:

Add your Desktop and Documents Files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 12:18 AM in response to ceci_gg

ceci_gg Said:

"iCloud Files Lost - Help Recover[...]

———-

So, they just disappeared?

A Few Thoughts on Recovering these:

• Try Opening Recent Files:

Open an application that they were being used with - see if you can:

1. Go to: File menu
  2. Select: Open Recent...
  3. Does Anything Pop Up?

• Check Trash:

See if these items reside in Trash. Trash items need to be moved out of trash in order to open them.

• Any Other Users?:

See if there are any other users on your computer. Perhaps they are on the other user

• Use a Backup:

If you have any Time Machine Backups, then see If you can transfer these over using Migration Assistant.

• Go Here:

Add your Desktop and Documents Files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

iCloud Files Lost - Help Recover

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.