Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not in chronological order

Hello,

so it seems all of my photos are not in order, I have some photos from 2014 half way in my

photo album. Can anyone please tell me if there is a quick fix to this? I’m so worried about losing any photos I don’t want to remove them all and then re-add from a iCloud.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 8:05 AM

Are all problematic photos, that are sorted incorrectly, duplicates? I would check them with third-party exif viewers like Metapho or ViewEXIF, so you can see the file attributes. Check the format, if the photos are JPEGs or in another format, check the pixel size, if these photos are in the original size or just thumbnails. If a Photos Library gets corrupted and is automatically repaired, Photos may recover orphaned items, that are no longer bound to photos in the library. These orphaned items may be thumbnails or previews without any metadata and they could be shown at any date.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 8:05 AM in response to Jo Mancini

Are all problematic photos, that are sorted incorrectly, duplicates? I would check them with third-party exif viewers like Metapho or ViewEXIF, so you can see the file attributes. Check the format, if the photos are JPEGs or in another format, check the pixel size, if these photos are in the original size or just thumbnails. If a Photos Library gets corrupted and is automatically repaired, Photos may recover orphaned items, that are no longer bound to photos in the library. These orphaned items may be thumbnails or previews without any metadata and they could be shown at any date.

Jan 6, 2021 1:17 AM in response to Jo Mancini

Wich system version is installed on your iPhone? Where are you looking at your photos? There are many different predefined views in the Photos.app, depending on the album you are looking at and on the system version. In iOS 14 the "All Photos" album is sorted by the capture date (the date the photo has been taken), while the Recents album is sorted by the date the photos have been added, which can be different from the date a photo has been taken and can change after a system update or when your Photos library gets updated to a newer version. Are the photos out of order in Recents or in All Photos or in a different album?

Jan 6, 2021 1:19 AM in response to léonie

So mostly all photos were moved from an old phone but since I updated to a big update a year or two ago they most duplicated or went into wrong order. I have one photo that says 1st January 1980....I wasn’t even born then 😂 I’m on the most recent update and viewing them in all ‘all photos’ and recents and they’re the exact same - all mixed up.

Jan 6, 2021 1:40 AM in response to Jo Mancini

If you moved them from a previous phone, was the previous phone an iPhone? If yes it is very strange, maybe it's a glitch in the Photos app. If the pictures come from a different manufacturer, maybe the new phone isn't reading the photos' metadata correctly.

Try getting the information for the photo that says "1980", for example. Load it in a program that checks exif data (you can find websites that check this for you, or you can download apps or programs to do it for you) and look for the date taken, or original date, or anything similar.

Photos not in chronological order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.