Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice for migrating to new Macbook (update to Big Sur before or after?)

A new M1 Macbook Air is about to arrive within a week or so.

Currently, I'm using a 2015 Macbook Pro with Mojave installed.

I would like to know if there are best practices when switching from one Macbook to a new one.

Perhaps it's just about using the migration assistant I've heard about and I'm good to go.

But perhaps there are some pitfalls.

I would specifically like to know, if it's a problem, that my old Macbook has an older OS version.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 1:27 AM

3 replies

Jan 8, 2021 7:47 AM in response to J0hannes

Hello J0hannes,

It sounds like you have some concerns about transferring data from your old Mac to your new Mac. You’re in the right place, we’d be glad to assist in seeking a solution.

We recommend using Migration Assistant, and we don't believe you will have any problems while on Mojave.

Move your content to a new Mac

"Get ready

1. Install all available software updates on both computers. If your old Mac isn't using OS X Lion or later, and your new Mac isn't using OS X Mavericks or later, follow the Mountain Lion migration steps instead.
  2. If both computers are using macOS Sierra or later, place them near each other with Wi-Fi  turned on. If either one is using OS X El Capitan or earlier, make sure that both are on the same network.
  3. On your old Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Sharing. Make sure that a name appears in the Computer Name field."

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Take care.

Jan 8, 2021 11:44 AM in response to J0hannes

Migration Assistant will do the job nicely. That is what it is designed to do. Just pay attention and follow the easy instructions - except for one. Do NOT use Wi-Fi. It is too slow and will often corrupt tour data. It is a simple matter to connect the two devices with a USB cable. Transfer should take no longer than an hour or so, give or take. First, begin by setting up your new computer. When asked if you want to transfer your data, say yes and answer the questions about the transfer. It will not transfer your old operating system, but will , if you so select, transfer all of your preferences, etc. You can transfer all of your files, but you may not select which ones to transfer. It will not remove any files from your old computer. You may do that later. Also, please understand that your new computer's operating system will not wok with any older 32 bit programs. If you have any, they will have to be upgraded, possibly at a cost. If they are already 64 bit programs you may either transfer them or reinstall them, but some like Microsoft Office must be re-registered to the new computer on their web site. Enjoy your new computer.

Advice for migrating to new Macbook (update to Big Sur before or after?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.