Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pdf

Every time I open a saved PDF my MacBook Pro converts it to a word document. Why is this and how can I prevent it from doing this?

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 6:01 AM

It sounds to me that your system is set to use the wrong application.

Are you getting this dialogue box?

This indicates that your system is set to open a pdf (or all of them) in Word. This can be changed by clicking (or Command & I) on a pdf, right-clicking and choosing Get Info.

Look for the "Open With" option and see what it says. For a pdf file it ought to say Preview (or at least another pdf reader). If it says anything else such as Microsoft Word then change it to Preview then click on the Change All button below this option.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 6:01 AM in response to panariti

It sounds to me that your system is set to use the wrong application.

Are you getting this dialogue box?

This indicates that your system is set to open a pdf (or all of them) in Word. This can be changed by clicking (or Command & I) on a pdf, right-clicking and choosing Get Info.

Look for the "Open With" option and see what it says. For a pdf file it ought to say Preview (or at least another pdf reader). If it says anything else such as Microsoft Word then change it to Preview then click on the Change All button below this option.

pdf

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.