Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad air 2 charger

So I know the iPad Air 2 doesn’t have fast charge, but if I use a 20 W power adapter, how much better will it charge my iPad than the regular 5 W that I’m using now?

P.S. This question might be a bit odd, but I’m trying to figure out if the fast charge adapter will do anything at all/if it even matters that I get the higher wattage one.

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 10:19 AM

When using the 20W Power Adapter, your iPad will be able to charge at a much faster rate.

Your iPad Air2 supports charging at a 12W charging rate (2.4A @5V).

I’m surprised that you can achieve an acceptable charging rate at all when using a 5W iPhone Power Adapter. Both the iPad Air1 and Air2 were supplied from new with a 12W Power Adapter.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 10:19 AM in response to Lauker

When using the 20W Power Adapter, your iPad will be able to charge at a much faster rate.

Your iPad Air2 supports charging at a 12W charging rate (2.4A @5V).

I’m surprised that you can achieve an acceptable charging rate at all when using a 5W iPhone Power Adapter. Both the iPad Air1 and Air2 were supplied from new with a 12W Power Adapter.

Jan 6, 2021 10:30 AM in response to Lauker

If you are using the iPhone 5W power/charging adapter to charge your iPad Air 2, that adapter is underpowered to charge an iPad.

It must be taking 8-10 hours, or more to charge that iPad Air 2 with such a small wattage charger.

The 20W adapter will charge your iPad Air faster, but only up to a 12W maximum, perhaps 14W, but that is it!

Your iPad Air 2 should charge anywhere between 3-4 hours with the 20W charger.

Best of Luck to You!

ipad air 2 charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.