Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migrating photos from iPhoto and Aperture to Photos

my Aperture library and iPhoto Library were added to the Photos app. I have now moved all of those photos from those two libraries so that they are now reside in Photos. Can I now safely delete the Aperture 3 and iPhoto applications. As an aside I moved all raw files a originals and all jpg as such.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 8:51 AM

You cannot even run Aperture and iPhoto on macOS Catalina, and both applications are very large. It makes sense to remove them from the system drive. I would still keep the applications as a backup, because you may not be able to download them again from the App Store. I have kept these applications backed up and installed on two older Macs, so I can open my Aperture libraries again, when I come across Aperture edits, that have not been migrated correctly. I found several photos in my Photos Library where the Aperture edits had to be reverted. Then it helped to look at the original Aperture Library.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2021 8:51 AM in response to deflumeri

You cannot even run Aperture and iPhoto on macOS Catalina, and both applications are very large. It makes sense to remove them from the system drive. I would still keep the applications as a backup, because you may not be able to download them again from the App Store. I have kept these applications backed up and installed on two older Macs, so I can open my Aperture libraries again, when I come across Aperture edits, that have not been migrated correctly. I found several photos in my Photos Library where the Aperture edits had to be reverted. Then it helped to look at the original Aperture Library.

Jan 8, 2021 11:38 AM in response to deflumeri

Ok, I try to help to find your originals:

1. Push Alt + click Photos app on dock

You will see this window and the path of photos library

2. Open Finder and find the photos library

3. Than right click on the Photos Library and you will see this:

However, Niel write you an replay:

Jan 6, 2021 8:54 PM in response to deflumeri

Yes.

And I suggest you this again: If you delete your Apperture and iPhoto application doesn't mean you delete your pictures. However you should made a Time machine backup before you delete.

Jan 6, 2021 12:02 PM in response to deflumeri

How you moved your pictures? Imported to Photos app or just copy your files with finder?

You can check the original location of your photos.

Push Option key and click Photos icon, you will see the path of your system photo library.

Open this folder in Finder, right click your Photo Library than click Show package content.

You will find your original photos here.

If you delete your Apperture and iPhoto application doesn't mean you delete your pictures. However you should made a Time machine backup before you delete.

Jan 6, 2021 1:37 PM in response to darabos

With your directions I cannot navigate to anything that says show package contents. I can tell you photo files in the iPhoto Library and the Aperture 3 library were added to Photos App so that they still resided in their original libraries. Then I decided that I did not want to have 3 libraries in the Photos App. So first I exported raw files from their respective libraries in Photos App to a folder on my desktop, using the original files option. I then added those files back into to Photos library in the Photo App. They were in their original state. Other files that were in a jpg format I exported, as such to a folder on the desktop. I then added back to the Photos library Photos App. I do know that when I tried to export any of those pictures I did not get a message that cannot find originals. Therefore I deduced that these are now originals. That is all I can tell you

Jan 8, 2021 12:18 PM in response to darabos

I don't know what operating system you are using, but when I follow your directions I do not get those panes with those options. When I hold option (alt) and click on photos I get a choice of the libraries in my Photos App., nothing else. When I choose the library it opens directly to the pictures. I do not get the second picture you describe.

migrating photos from iPhoto and Aperture to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.